Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ladies Who Lunch.

It's early in the week but we've been plenty busy with lots of fun stuff. Yesterday morning we walked with Keri. For the first time, we stopped to get Starbucks beverages. The children did not like that. Elizabeth woke up in her stroller and screamed the whole way home and Keri's son kept squirming around and putting his feet on the wheel of her stroller. No treats for the mommies, apparently!

Then we got cleaned up and went to meet Grams, Jackie, Ceanne and Theda for lunch at CPK near Leisure World. Nothing I like better than getting the glare when my baby cries in a room of octogenarians. Jackie actually ended up taking Ellie for a quick walk outside when she got really fussy, and she came back in with a sleepy baby slumped in her arms. I have to admit, even though I've known Jackie the majority of my life, it was a little nerve wracking to have Ellie out of my line of sight. I am such a new mom. It was nice to sit around with a great group of ladies, talking about books. I even finished a whole book last night! (second since the baby was born.)

Then today we had a BIG outing. BIG BIG outing. Today was my (former) coworker Trena's first day back in the office after maternity leave. Her son Sawyer is a week younger than Elizabeth (we were due the same day.) We'd been emailing about her return and our (former) boss Anja suggested the three of us and a few other people from the office meet for lunch at a sushi place down the street from my (former) workplace. I was totally in, though nervous. I've never taken Ellie on such a long drive by myself. I didn't know if she'd melt down 40 miles from home. I didn't know if she'd be good at the restaurant. But I decided I'd try to make the best of it - if I was less than halfway there and she started crying inconsolably in the car I'd turn around and call it a day. If I was more than halfway there and she totally lost her bananas I'd find a place to pull over and feed her safely. And I would just take a deep breath and go with it. It actually worked perfectly - she was up at 7, we did some eating and some playtime. We had a bath, did some more eating and she fell asleep long enough for me to get showered and ready. I made sure her tummy tank was full and strapped her into the car. She was awake for the first 20 minutes or so, cried a tiny bit and then drifted off to sleep. We got to downtown in record time. I parked, gave her a little something to eat and headed to the restaurant.

It was SO good to see everyone. It was also sort of surreal to be sitting around talking shop and catching up in a restaurant that we've eaten in a million times during my former life, and to now be sitting there, formally unemployed, but a full time workaholic for my little bean. Everyone looks great and seems to be holding up okay. Afterwards, I walked back to the office and showed off my little bundle of cuteness. She was especially happy to met her Auntie Wanda and hang out with her Auntie Inga. I was able to use an empty office to get her tanked back up, and we were off to the races again. She cried the entire walk to her car, hollering in her stroller. Good luck kid - there are so many crazies on the streets of LA, a little screaming goes totally unnoticed. Then she was out cold before I even got on the 5 to drive home and snoozed through a trip to Trader Joes as well.

It was so fun to bring her into the office and introduce her to everyone. Even the security guard and the building manager got a chance to say hi. And I loved being back in downtown, if only for a few hours. I know there are many that hate big cities, but there is something about downtown LA that works for me. If Tim hadn't changed jobs and we hadn't had kids, I would definitely get a loft apartment downtown.

Sometimes, I miss my old LA life. I miss my old job and my coworkers. But it only lasts a moment. I am so grateful that I'm able to be a full time mommy to my fantastic, beautiful daughter. I'm glad we can hang out together every day and go out to lunch and see our friends and grandmas and surrogate grandmas. I love our little yellow house and hope to live here until I'm old and gray. And I look forward to more fabulous trips to The Big City with my little bean.

Here's her being a cutie cute on a walk the other day:

No comments:

Post a Comment