Monday, October 25, 2010

Some Cat Stories.

So, we all worried about how the cats would handle the baby. The good news is that they are mostly ambivalent, but also fairly friendly.

The only bad part is that Lulu's carpet peeing has slightly accelerated. We are managing that as very best we can, but ugh. That's Lulu for you. She is my best friend in the middle of the night. I sit on the couch and nurse and she sits next to me on her little blankey nest and purrs. She occasionally sniffs Elizabeth, and once when I showed her the baby and said "Lulie, this is MY kitten" she dutifully licked the baby. (also can I just say how relieved I am that the baby isn't allergic to cats? I mean, she would have had a slim chance of that actually happening, but it still a relief.)

Thor mostly ignores her and stays away. The funny thing is that since we've come home with her, he has gotten SO much braver. He's out and about more, and though he steers clear of the baby, except for occasional sniffings, he's out in our living room while we're entertaining guests. People who have never seen Thor are suddenly amazed to see him stroll into the room. I think maybe he figures that he's the second smallest person in the house now, so he's safe. Vultures will eat the baby first. Last night when Ellie was in my arms wailing for dinner, Thory sat on the coffee table and cried back at her.

We're keeping the door to the nursery closed full time now, mostly because they like to hide under the guest bed, and it's really hard to get them out from under there. So to save ourselves stress late at night, they don't go in at all. Thankfully, they haven't tried to get in. I think they know that the loud crying thing lives in there, and they don't really want a part of that.

Just wait until she can get her hands on their tails! Let the tuggin' begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment