Friday, October 22, 2010

Day 3.

So, today Tim had tickets to Blizzcon and so I spent my first day on basically full time mommy duty. It wasn't bad at all, and it's also hard to get stressed when you know that there is a crew of professionals just outside your door if you need a question answered or a drink brought in. Seriously though - everyone we've come in contact with at the hospital has been incredibly kind and helpful. All of our nurses have been great, I've been able to meet with several lactation consultants, and even just the cleaning crew and lunch delivery folks - they have all treated me like a queen.

Overall, Elizabeth and I did excellent. She's such a good baby. She'd eat, she'd sleep, and I'd either sleep with her or take the opportunity to return emails or make phone calls. It was just nice to relax, she and I together, since we'll be apparently hanging out a lot in the next few years. I did have to change my first diaper though - Tim's been handing that task basically full time since she was born. She did not go easy on me for my first time on the job, and managed to both pee and poo all over her little mattress pad while I was trying to get her clean diaper out and on her butt. Again - thank goodness for the nurses - I called and they quickly helped me clean up the poo-pocolypse. I also made up some good songs for the baby, mostly incorporating her name into popular show tunes.

We had a few visitors - mom, Sara and Granny Jannie stopped by for a half hour or so before Sara had to go to work. Elizabeth obliged with being incredibly cute and sweet. Dad supervised the installation of our new shower door at the house and then swung by to spend some time with the new love of his life. He got to hold her without having to fight off all of the womenfolk, and so he spent some time explaining the facts of life to Ellie. She listened pretty intently, because she knows who's boss. She is looking forward to wearing her Packer clothes this weekend and cheering her Gramps' favorite team.

This evening all of the Fords stopped by, once Tim and Jake returned from Blizzcon. Grandma Eileen was here first, so she got several hours of uninterrupted baby holding time. It meant that I got to scarf a hot dinner and then take a nap during the Rangers game.

Tomorrow morning/early afternoon we should be heading back to our house, hooray! I can't believe that I finally get to go back outside - it's strange to think that I've been basically in the same 20 square feet since I walked into the hospital in the rain on Tuesday afternoon. I'm ready to be in my own bed, to show Ellie her nursery, and to see what the cats think of the newborn. My doc stopped by today and gave me the thumbs up so I'm actually officially discharged. They will do an assessment of the baby tonight before she goes to the nursery (giving mom and dad a few hours of uninterrupted sleep) and then the ped should discharge her in the morning. She's done a great job in holding close to her birth weight, she regulates her own temperature, she nurses like a champ and she produces quality diapers. Between that, and the fact that she can already read and write, and make iPhone app games, she's basically a complete genius.

Also, we still need to fill out her official birth certificate paperwork. Funny to think that we've introduced her to the world, but legally, she's just "baby girl Ford." Mostly though, I call her Beanie. So, we'll keep you posted, just in case we do end up naming her Sequins at the last moment.

Once we get home I can upload all the photos I've taken, so be prepared for an onslaught of images.

No comments:

Post a Comment