Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day Two

That's right, we've been parents for almost 48 hours!

Last night's sunset was beautiful and I made sure Tim took some pictures - how fitting that the morning of her birthday the weather was stormy and wild like in the midwest but the evening was a beautiful California sunset.

We are both feeling much improved after almost 48 hours. Last night at 11 they took me off all of my IV meds, including the magnesium sulfate, which had been making me feel pretty sick (but which they make you be on for 24 hours post-delivery if there's pre-eclampsia.) The baby went to the nursery for a few hours in the middle of the night and we slept like champs, and then when she came back, the nurse pulled me off of ALL of the various machines that I'd been chained to. I'm not the best walker in the world, but it's nice to no longer be confined to bed! It all made this morning seem so much brighter and more manageable. Tim also went home and took a late morning nap with the cats, so he is back to being his old self.

Today I got to take a shower and even ventured across the hall to get my own ice water - it's the first time I'd left our room in over a day. We had some nice visitors and I received some lovely flowers, and all and all, I feel lucky that Elizabeth and Tim and I get to bask in so much love.

She and I are both healing well and growing like champs. The doc says I should be cleared to go home on Saturday morning, and everyone who sees Ellie comments on how big and strong she is. She and I are having adventures in learning how to feed, but all of the nurses are really nice and I think we're getting the hang of it!

She is an absolutely darling baby and even sometimes when I know I should shut my eyes and try to get a little nap in, I can't stop myself from just looking down and marveling at her expressive little face. It cracks me up how upset she gets when she has a dirty diaper, like, "WHO THE HECK POOPED IN MY PANTS, YOU GUYS!" When she's really upset and crying her bottom lip does this really funny little quiver that I can't help but smile at (even as I wish I knew exactly how to stop her crying.) I love when she's laying on my chest and staring at me with those big, dark blue eyes, or holding her own head up while trying to tell me how bad she needs to eat!

Tim has been an angel in all of this - he's changed EVERY ONE of her diapers thus far, and for a guy who was always afraid to hold babies, he has no hesitation in grabbing her up. There is nothing sweeter than my big tall husband and our tiny baby curled up together. He's such a good daddy, and he's been an amazing husband to me in my hobbling state.

So in short - we are happy and thriving, and looking forward to getting home and settling into our life together. In the meanwhile, the nurses, the mommies and everyone is taking GREAT care of us, and we couldn't be happier. Well... maybe if the hospital had better sleeping arrangements for the fathers, but other than that! (Tim brought an air mattress tonight because he can't deal with the pull out cot anymore.)

Also - we DEFINITELY have more pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment