Saturday, April 27, 2013

It Takes a Village.

Yesterday was a rough day for us. Ellie was all out of sorts (what I thought was teething turns out to be an actual runny nose, she was tired, I was snappy) and we did not have a fun afternoon. Plus at 6:30am our power went out - a transformer around the corner blew and left us all in the dark for a few hours.

Thankfully, I was able to pack up the kids and be at Gigi's house by 8am for a cup of coffee and a second breakfast, and lots of extra pairs of hands. Then we went to a baby shower where Ellie was a terror, but my girlfriends did their best to keep everyone calm and happy.

I have to admit, I bow down to our moms. I don't know how they did it, especially each having two kids within 18 months. I don't know what I'd do without having both sets of grandparents close by and easily available. I don't know what I'd do without DVR and twenty episodes of Daniel Tiger and Sesame Street at my instant disposal. I don't know what I'd do without facebook, and the ability to launch my complaints out into the universe and hear from other mom friends that it's okay and they understand what I'm going through.

My girlfriends have been really amazing to me this past week (and in the weeks previous too.) This week we had our meal train come through - a hot, home made dinner every night. Even though I've been managing to get a decent meal on the table most nights that we're home, it has been SUCH A RELIEF to just come home and warm something up. We've had extras for lunches and leftovers and even some to freeze for later. And bonus: my friends are great cooks and everything has been insanely delicious. Plus we've gotten the company of seeing everyone, and they've all been happy to take a turn snuggling with our new young friend.

So we're continuing to muddle through, though I'm thankful we're not doing it alone.

This morning Tim took Ellie to swim class as Gigi is entertaining company. He reports that they had a great time and she did well, and they came home with a giant apple fritter, so everyone wins. Meanwhile, Adam and I went on a walk. I am amazed at how much easier my walks are now - turns out that it takes a lot less effort to push a ten pound melon in the stroller, versus trying to push a 35 pound melon while 38 weeks pregnant. This week I've even started jogging again, which feels amazing. I am hoping to run a 5K at Thanksgiving, and it looks like it should be completely doable. Now I have to decide if I want to be one of those jerks who also runs pushing a stroller and acting like it's no big deal - those ladies used to really piss me off when they passed me, back in my more serious running days. Now I am one of those insane people (though let's be honest, the only people I pass are the elderly, and those stopping to pick up after their dogs. Fast I am not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment