Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Hey Mr. DJ

You know that cliche of the teenaged kid, sullenly sitting in the back seat of the car, listening to an iPod and ignoring their mom? I AM LIVING FOR THAT RIGHT NOW. HOW MANY YEARS UNTIL I GET THAT?

I guess I shouldn't complain too much - before Ellie was even here, Tim and I talked often of how we wanted to expose her to lots of different kinds of music, and how much fun it was going to be to introduce her to our favorite songs and our favorite bands. And it has been! I love seeing what catches her attention and what she asks to hear on repeat.

What I don't love is being constantly asked to play songs for her in the car. I especially don't like when she throws out a request as I'm entering the freeway, and then cries when I tell her to give me a minute or two.

Our current list of favorites includes:
-Sara Jane and the Iron Mountain Baby by Edie Brickell and Steve Martin
-Wash That Man Right Out Of My Hair by Florence Henderson (yeah Mrs Brady!)
-Mamma Mia by ABBA, or as she calls it "my favorite Mamma Mia!"
-Sons of Westwood and/or the Mighty Bruins (bonus factoid: Tim is featured playing saxophone on the recording I have. Band dorks, what what!)
-Jesus Is Born by the Oak Ridge Boys (a family favorite)

And lately, every day, every time we get in the car
 Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. And not only that, but she starts singing and then yells "mama, sing the parts!" meaning the "like a light bulb" additions to the song. And then we start again. I cannot wait until she's old enough to figure out how to work the iPod herself. I will buy her one, if it means I can listen to something of my choosing once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment