Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Day One.

It's been a good first twenty four hours with our sweet boy. I'm amazed at how much better the entire experience has been. First off, I dropped Ellie at preschool and for the first time ever, she went to her teachers and said goodbye without a tear. SUCCESS! It did my heart good. We came home, got our stuff packed and headed off to the hospital, where the worst part of the process was having my IV placed. I nearly passed out. We had a great nurse, and a fabulous anesthesiologist, and of course, my sometimes impossible but highly competent OB. I'd heard recently that the hospital was instituting a "baby friendly" csection policy - in most "baby friendly hospitals" if you have a normal delivery, they immediately put the baby on your chest for the first hour to encourage bonding and breastfeeding, if you so choose. Obviously, that's harder to do with a csection. With Ellie, they held her up so I could see her, cleaned her up a little and then held her so I could give her a kiss, and then she was gone to recovery to get weighed and bathed and wait for me. Tim went with her, and I just sort of laid there, waiting for it all to be over. This time, I asked if the baby could stay with me, per the new policy. Turns out, it's not official policy yet - they'd done one trial of it. But the OR nurse and the baby nurse were willing to give it a try, provided my doctor was comfortable with it, and he thankfully was. It was wonderful beyond words to get to meet Adam immediately and hold him and talk to him while they finished the surgery. He was all bundled up and I held him on my chest, and Tim helped me keep him steady. It meant the world to me, and I really appreciate the medical team making it happen.

Thus far, he's very sweet and mellow. When Ellie was born, she screamed from the minute they pulled her out until we were reunited in recovery. Dr. B even joked "what are you guys doing to that kid back there" because she was crying so hard. Adam cried when he came out, but quickly calmed down, so much so that I started asking if he was okay. Nursing Ellie was a steep, uphill learning curve. Nursing Adam has been an absolute breeze. They both came out with beautiful dark hair, but I think Adam is going to more closely resemble Tim.

I'm feeling pretty amazing. I avoided all of the blood pressure drugs this time, and so don't feel like I got hit by a caravan of sewage trucks. I was all most of the monitors by 24 hours post, and was able to get up and walk in the middle of the night last night. I'm not eager to go home or anything, but it's nice to feel like I can get out of bed without falling over from pain.

So, we've had a good day. Lots of snuggling, a visit from the most dedicated big sister (so far) and I changed my first little boy diaper. It ended up Adam peeing all over himself. I am new at this.


No comments:

Post a Comment