Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Post-Holiday.

Tim and I have spent the past two days being unbelievably lazy. After all of the hecticness of navigating the holidays with a newborn, it makes our couch feel like the place to be. On the 26th, he didn't shower until 4pm, and I didn't shower until 8. And then I just put on clean pajamas and called it a day.

Yesterday he left the house to run a few errands, but the only time I left was when we took Ellie for a walk around 4:30 (yes, I wore my pajamas out of the house. But we all know that the difference between pj pants and yoga pants is a slippery slope.)

Tim's got the whole week off, which is nice. Elizabeth has apparently gone on some strike against daytime naps. She'll be up for two hours, be obviously tired and fussy, but then will only sleep for 20-30 minutes. We've been trying to figure out what her new trick is. The bouncer is not the miracle answer we hoped it would be. I fed her and laid her down in her bassinet in her quiet room, totally asleep. I got a chance to wash my hands, and then I could hear her screaming and wide awake, so it doesn't seem like quiet, dim room is the naptime answer. The swing seems to still be our best bet - I just wish she'd sleep longer. For her sake and mine. It may also be a growth spurt, so we just have to deal. The good news is that she's sleeping 7-8 hours EVERY NIGHT, and that gives us the break we need.

Since Tim is home and we can nap during the day, we are working to transition her to being alone in her room at night, versus having one of us in there with her. It's been pretty successful the last two nights, which is a really nice change. I just keep looking forward to the day when we can lay her down in her own crib, drowsy, and have her nod off on her own. The good news is that her fuss period has gone from two hours to about a half hour, so Tim is not spending as much time trying to get her to sleep.

And I just keep reminding myself, colicky babies grow out of it. Every day is a day closer to her being not colicky anymore.

The good news is that she can be SUCH a fun baby. She's so alert and cute, and always smiles at us in the morning. Yesterday we set up her playmat because she's been enjoying laying on her blanket and being talked to. The playmat has all sorts of bright colors, and some animal friends and dangly toys. We set it up and put her in it and her eyes got SO big. We totally blew her mind. So she'll hang out there and kick and stretch and we talk to her about her toys and what she's seeing. And then I get in her face and watch her smile, and then I kiss her cheeks off!

No comments:

Post a Comment