Friday, September 30, 2016

Reunited and It Feels So Good!

Recall that in January, we had our existing handyman special garage cabinets torn out, in hopes of having a nice, fancy new garage with good storage space. The contractor came, he demoed, they put all of our garage possessions into the newly extended attic space. They dry walled the whole place. We had it textured and painted. And then... we waited. We waited all summer. I would call Glen and harass him, and he'd say it was happening soon. Problem with the cabinet factory, his family got in a car accident, the cabinets are on order, they'll be there any day. Basically, he is totally off the rails and spent the entire summer LYING to me, because he doesn't even own the cabinet factory any more, and my cabinets never even got ordered!

We ended up serving him with a letter from our attorney, and he gave me this big song and dance about how he was so sorry, he wanted to do the job because our friendship is important to him, yadda yadda. He'd be happy to refund my money, understood that I wanted to go with someone else (and then lied to me when he said the check was in the mail, because he said on a Friday that it had been mailed "weeks ago" but then when it showed up on Tuesday, it was dated and postmarked the previous Monday. Hmm... I think he is either having some sort of mental break down, or is on the verge of bankruptcy and robbing Peter to pay Paul, because everyone we know is having major problems, and he wasn't like this with our other renovations!)

ANYWAYS, long story short, it's all done now, with the mostly minor exception of lighting, and I could not be happier. I love the way it looks, I love all of the storage space, I love how clean it is, and I LOVE that all of our worldly possessions are down from the crawl space (had to hire a different handyman to install a ladder pull down, but it's in!) I LOVE ORGANIZING!

The guys finished at about 1:30 today, and I spent the next three and a half hours in the 90 degree heat, in our gross dusty crawl space, pulling down most of the boxes and bags and then putting them in their new homes. Thank goodness we did a huge purge before even embarking on this project, because it was a lot of junk. But now, it all fits really nicely with room to spare (side note, I take a smug pride in being able to park both of my cars in my garage. There are so many people in our neighborhood with two and three car garages just stuffed to the gills with CRAP and their cars parked in the driveway. How many couches do you have in your 2,000 square foot house that you have to store another one in the garage, I wonder.)

So here's the before:
Weird cabinet thingie that meant only the Fit fit on the left side

Very fancy cabinets, work bench mess forever. My favorite is that the original owner cut the middle set of cabinets so that the doors opened fully under the garage door track, but not so the ones on the right - they only opened part way.

AND NOW!


All this junk and more, now home where it belongs (the Packer helmet is for chips and dips, obviously.)

No comments:

Post a Comment