Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dr. Ellie Dolittle

The best errand we run on any given week is a trip to the pet store. There's one near our house where we can get wet food and cat litter. That place usually has several rabbits for sale, plus a binny pig or two and some fancy rats. It's smaller, and so a lot of times if it's quiet, one of the ladies will let Ellie pet an animal. She thinks it's the best ever. But some weeks, we have to drive up to PetSmart to get the cats their fancy new dry food (good news: Thor hates the prescription diabetes food, so that saves me some dollars. Not going to pay a premium if he won't eat it!) PetSmart has plenty of binny pigs, with the bonus of birds and fish to stare at. And yesterday, it was a super thrill - the doggy day care dogs were out in a big glass room playing.



Ellie probably stood there for ten minutes, hollering with joy at all of them. The Springer came and sat right next to her on the other side of the glass, and she wisely declared "I love him, he's my favorite." Not her favorite - the giant German shepard who ran over and barked at her. I can't blame him; she's a tender morsel.

It's the best way to kill a half hour. She gets to wander around and smile and squeal delightedly at all the animals, I get a chore done, and she has stories to tell everyone for the rest of the day.

This morning during cat snuggling time she once again informed me "he's not your baby kitty mama, he's my baby kitty." Fine kid, then YOU learn how to inject him with insulin twice a day. It still blows my mind that six months ago, I couldn't get she and Thor in the same room. But now it's true love forever.

Also, she loves her some Timothy Joseph. I do too, but I just didn't get a sticker.

No comments:

Post a Comment