Friday, February 1, 2013

Big Girl.

Oh, our little Buster boo. Tonight is the first night we're trying her in her new bed. I have been trying to talk it up as much as possible, while also being careful about what I say, because I don't want her to turn it on me (ie: "you don't want to sleep in your old bed like a baby, do you?" "yes I AM a baby!") While also just acknowledging that this is a big transition, and that it may not go as smoothly as we'd like.

The good news is that we've had a break through in the past few weeks about going to bed. Up until recently, in order to get Elizabeth to go to sleep, someone had to sit in her room with her. Now, this may seem insane until you realize that it's actually a step up from the first 18 or so months of her life, when someone (usually Tim) had to actually lay in bed with her and hold her until she fell asleep. Now at least whoever is putting her to bed (usually Tim) can sit in a chair and read the internets on a tablet/phone. But still, it's always taken her a long time to settle down and fall asleep. The other night he got fed up with her (after an hour) and said that he was going to go, but he'd be right outside. And after a little whining, she fell asleep, and since then we've only had to sit with her for ten to fifteen minutes, and then she fall to sleep herself. It is a MIRACLE. I am of course, terrified that with this move we'll be back to square one, but she's going to need to figure it out, and figure out how to sleep in her new bed, because there's going to be a new screaming poop machine on the block, and so those of us who understand English and can listen to reason are going to have to make some compromises.

So I'm a little nostalgic tonight. I can't believe how big she is! We've got her starting to climb into the car and the car seat on her own. She sits in a regular person chair for all meals, and is working on clearing her place at the table when she's done.

Her talking is funny too - I feel like she's picking up more phrases and idioms, which cracks me up. She still puts things together on her own, which can lead to hilarity. Yesterday she asked me "do they have octopus at Home Depot?" and wanted to review whether or not kitties go in the fireplace (they do not, obviously.) She has finally started calling yogurt by the correct name, which actually makes me a little sad. I hope she never stops callings guinea pigs "binny pigs."

She's just such a joyful little person, and I've really been enjoying her lately. If we're about to do something fun (you know, like go to Mimi's house, or go see the bunnies at the pet store) she will say "I'm so excited!" and then tell me "I'm so happy!" (she's very interested in everyone's feelings as of late.) She's obsessed with wearing her tutu skirt lately (thank goodness we have several) and will do her "beautiful dancing flower" dance whenever the moment strikes her.

She is also very interested in what people's names are lately - usually by asking me "what's his name?" as we pass someone on the street. I am working with her on saying "my name is Ellie, what's your name?" if she wants to know who someone is. I also think it's funny to hear her call herself Ellie, because for the longest time, any time you mentioned the idea of "name," she'd call herself Itty Bitty. If Grizz asks her, she still says Itty Bitty, because she'll be his IB forever.

Even if she is getting so big already.

No comments:

Post a Comment