Sunday, February 17, 2013

Burrito Baby.

I must say, I'm very thankful that our transition to a big girl bedroom has been this smooth. After her first weekend, we haven't had any protestations about going to bed or her new bed or wanting us to sit with her until she falls all the way asleep. It is funny to see how different her sleeping is now. In the queen sized bed, she had two pillows, and slept with her face crammed in the crack between them. The twin bed doesn't have enough room for two pillows, so she consoles herself by sleeping with her face crammed against the wall. I mean, why wouldn't you?

SO COMFY!

She is also very intent on having all of the blankets on her, after two years of just sleeping in her pjs, or pjs and a sleep sack. Last night it was 73 degrees in our house when I went to bed, and when I went in to check on her, she was wearing fleece pjs, her fleece sleep sack AND had pulled my flannel dorm quilt over her. The best part is she doesn't unfold the blankets, so she had four layers of flannel over her. It looked a lot like this:

Yep. Somewhere in that pile is a baby.

Oh, there she is. Off the pillow and smushed up with Smelly Cat and her UCLA quilt. On some level, I can't blame her. When I lived in Toronto, I'd sleep with both corners of the dorm quilt in my hands, tucked under my body, like a perfect little burrito. It was a hard habit to unlearn when Tim and I moved in together. He apparently thinks covers are for sharing (he's wrong, and we still are working on compromising.)

It's been unseasonably warm these past few days, and so this morning I laid out a sun dress for Ellie. I have half a closet filled with 2T sundresses that I fear she'll outgrow before getting a chance to wear. Those long legs are getting longer by the minute, and if the dress doesn't come with bloomers, her diaper hangs out beneath her hem (so unladylike!) Ellie of course, asked Tim for her tutu skirt, but he told her no and put her in her VERY cute polka dot dress. When he put her down off the changing table, she ran into our room, looked at herself in the mirror and screamed "I don't like this dress!" and ran crying to me. Tim asked me if this is what it's going to be like to raise a teenaged girl. Sorry buddy, but yep. She was quickly distracted though, by trying to stuff a small stuffed bunny rabbit down the front of her dress so he could "drink some milk."

This afternoon she also spent a lot of time snuggling with my belly, and saying things like, "the brother is cold, I will give him a robe. How does he feel now? He feels happy! Oh, I love my brother, can I see him now?" We'll see how she feels in six weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment