Saturday, June 13, 2015

Mudtastic.

I did the Camp Pendelton Mud Run today with a couple of girls from my MOPS group. I've wanted to do it for a couple of years, but it just hadn't worked out. It's part of the Marine training facility, with some added mud pits and obstacles. It used to be only one day a year and really hard to get into, but now it's turned into a major event and it's several heats across several weekends. It was a fun experience, but a looooong day. We met at Allison's house at seven, because it took us almost an hour and a half to get off the freeway and to the actual course, between driving to the parking area on the base and then getting shuttled to the race. And then while the actual race didn't seem to take too long, we had to wait to clean up afterwards, shuttle back to the cars and drive home. I didn't walk in my door until almost three.

We did the 10K, and for some reason I was surprised because I hadn't quite realized how much actual running it was going to be. I figured it was going to be mostly obstacles, but it was actually probably a solid five miles of just running (mostly uphill, ugh) and then a mile of crawling through muck or swimming through mud. I have never been so gross in all my life. They had rinse stations afterwards, but there's only so much you can do with your clothes still on. I ended up leaving my shoes (which they were collecting for donations) and throwing away my socks and shirt.

Allison and me, afterwards

Tim and the kids had their second swim lesson this morning, and thankfully this time no one threw up in the pool, so they got to enjoy the full time of their lesson. Ellie is doing fine in her new class, and Tim and Adam are happily doing parent and me. Everyone is winning! Now we just need Grizz's pool to warm up for the rest of our summer fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment