Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Hole in the Head.

Over the past week, Ellie has been repeatedly asking me to take her to get her ears pierced. She's done this before, but when I remind her that it's going to hurt like getting a shot, she usually backs off. Not this week - she keeps telling me she's going to be brave and she wants to do it.

So we did. And she screamed like a banshee and cried when they cleaned them afterwards, but now she's very pleased and proud.

It's funny because I feel like ear piercing is one of those things that can be contentious. There's a lot of talk about what the right age is, and there's also a lot of cultures where girls get their ears pierced as babies, and so it just depends on how the parents feel. I personally don't think doing it at four is a big deal (obviously) and while people have said that now I have to help her clean her ears, I have to help her in a lot of ways in this life, and adding cleaning her ears to making sure she goes potty and brushes her teeth and lets me comb the rats nests out of her hair... it's just one more thing in the litany of things we do. Basically it comes down to the fact that if she wants to have jewelry. I'll help her make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment