Monday, January 14, 2013

The Sugars

Today has been kind of a crazy day - I'm so lucky that both Mimi and Gigi were able to pitch in and handle baby duty so I could focus on a bunch of dumb bureaucratic stuff around the house, and more importantly, take Thory back to the vet.

I got a call from them this morning that his blood work had come back, and while all of his vital organs are functioning fine, he's got high levels of sugar in both his blood and urine - Thor has the diabetus. The sugars. I blame Paula Deen.

So this afternoon I took him in, got a quick lesson on what's been going on (his poor body has been breaking down his fat stores in an attempt to nourish him as sugar spills through his system) and I learned how to inject him. They said the needle is so small that the cats don't react, to which I thought "bull crap" but it's true! (thankfully. Now the only problem will be getting him into my arms twice a day for stabbing.)

The real problem is the insulin is human insulin, and it costs a fortune, because it's not sold in small enough quantities. It doesn't last long enough for me to use it before it goes bad, and I HATE the idea of throwing money down the drain (and throwing insulin in the trash!) Thankfully, I have a friend who had a diabetic cat, and she has some secrets she's going to share - apparently there is feline insulin, sold  in teeny tiny vials. I'm hoping that we can figure something out so Thor puts some weight back on, quits feeling and acting like he's starving, without bleeding us dry. I mean, he doesn't earn any damn money, nor will he take care of me in my old age, so I have to weigh my options.

But here's hoping that he's got many good years ahead of him, because this is what I imagine Thor and Tim will look like when Tim is an old retired man.

Sitting in his rocking chair, blanket over his knees, cat and computer on his lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment