Thursday, January 31, 2013

Final Step.

Two full months (and a few days) after we started demo, we are finished with our kitchen remodel. Glen and Arnie were here until late on Tuesday night, and Gary was out yesterday finishing up in the garage, and so, we are done. Signed, sealed, delivered.




I know, you are thinking that these look awfully similar to the last photos before Christmas. That's because they are.

The only real difference is here:
Now we have our trash/recycling drawer on the left, and there are new doors on the lazy Susan that so that the gap is smaller. It's interesting to see how the new doors compare to the ones that are six weeks old - the cherry is definitely darkening and changing. The cabinets are probably my favorite part of the kitchen.

The other new piece since Christmas is the laundry sink in the garage
I wish I had a before picture, but I don't (because this was not in our original plan.) Our previous laundry sink was this movable plastic piece of crap that was barely connected to the wall. Also, once Gary started working the plumbing, he found several places where it was done incorrectly (I think his exact term was "bootlegged.") So now all of the ins and outs and drains are done correctly. And com'n, granite countertop in the garage? I feel like I need to get fancier appliances. Glen kept talking about finding me a "scrap" piece for the top of the cabinet, and I thought by scrap he meant formica, or wood, or tile. I was not thinking granite. My garage is so classy now! I look forward to rinsing out some stains.

It seems so weird to be done. Part of me is sort of terrified that something's going to go wrong now, because everyone's finished and paid off, so it'll be my problem (and not just something to add to my punch list to finish later.) Plus now I actually have to keep things clean. In the last few weeks before the demo, and during the whole thing, I got into a pretty good groove of ignoring dust and dirt because "eh, it's going to get worse before it gets better." Now I have to actually clean up after myself when I'm done cooking. I have the hardest life ever, obviously.

Both Glen and Gary joked about when we're going to redo the bathrooms. When the cabinets and countertops went in, they looked so pretty that I found myself trying to figure out if we could gut the bathrooms before the baby arrived. Now that it's nearly February, I can say that I have no desire to deal with any sort of renovation until late 2014. Plus we still have work to do to get all of the bedrooms ready to go. Oh, and a new baby to welcome and raise. UGH. Hardest life EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment