Friday, September 16, 2011

A Few Bumps.

We are having a day. It actually started pretty awesome - mom class, lunch with our friends, a quick trip to the mall for a new skirt (for me) and a trip to visit Daddy at work. And then I got in a (minor) car accident on the way home - this lady must have stepped off the brake while we were stopped a light on a hill, and all of a sudden she was on my hood. Exchanged information, thinking everything was good and we were being rational adults, and then she indicated that *I* hit *her*. Right. I gassed it up the hill into your car. Exactly. Or not - insurance will sort it out. But either way, because I had the baby in the car, and because I am a crazy mama bear, and because I am a stressball, I had adrenaline coursing through my body for a good two hours afterwards.

And then of course, Ellie refused to take the nap she should have been taking in the car when we got hit. I spent a good 90 minutes trying to nurse and rock her to sleep but nothing doing, and finally had to put her back in the car and drive her around for 15 minutes. She also fought me like crazy on going to sleep tonight. Baby sleep is such a hard thing. She's good once she's in bed and out, but getting her to fall soundly asleep takes so much work, both for naps and for bedtime, that sometimes I want to just go lay down in a ditch and give up. And knowing that all anyone will ever "helpfully" suggest is cry it out doesn't help, because we've done a little here and there and it's not an effective or healthy solution for our particular baby. It's nights like this that send me to Dr. Sears' website, where I read items about "your high needs baby" and feel like maybe I'm not totally insane. Now that she's half grown, Ellie is definitely what I would consider a "happy" baby, but she's not an easy one. She's my high needs girl.

Good thing she cracks me up, when she's not making me want to tear my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment