Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Roasting!

I don't know if you heard, but it's a million degrees in Southern California this week. Yesterday they said it was over a hundred degrees in Mission Viejo. The guys did NOT enjoy being up in the attic. I kept offering them water and fans whenever I could. It was just miserable. But, we're making progress! Yesterday they did our bedroom and today they got most of the work done in the living room. That leaves tomorrow as their last day, to do the touch ups, finish the painting and install all of the bulbs and fixtures. VERY EXCITING. It's made a huge improvement on how the house looks. It's like a real home now, and not a dark lair.

We went from one crappy little square light to four cans! I won't have to turn the light on in the bathroom in order to properly see things in my closet!

Moving on into our bedroom - now we have reading lights over the bed. Before we just had a little desk lamp on Tim's side of the bed (like Tim reads!) And the ceiling fan, which is amazing. We ran it last night and it kept us from sweating to death.

Shot of the half-finished living room! We've got another ceiling fan and then three sets of canned lights. Each set of 2 is controlled by its own switch and dimmer, so we can get things adjusted depending on what sort of activities we're doing.

Here's how it looked in progress. Lots o'ladders. Apparently the space between the ceiling and the roof is only about eight inches, so they spent a lot of time fishing around to make things work.

Lots o'wires also.

I have not been completely without purpose either (though I did not get as sweaty as the poor electricians.) Here's what I did today!

I organized all of her lovely clothes and presents in her little closet. (The other half other closet is still hung with my clothes. She needs to learn early to share. SHARE YOUR CLOSET WITH MY FUR COAT COLLECTION.)

This is the to-be-washed pile.

I also spent some time in Cellblock B with the feline inmates. They both protest mightily when we jam them into the bathroom, but once they can hear the workers outside, they both get bug eyed and a little freaked out. They'll come out when I walk into the bathroom, and they'll both snuggle with me, but they're spending most of the day hiding in the cabinet under the sink, on their blankey.

Observe. This is my poor brown cat, who has gotten noticeably skinnier over the past week, despite my efforts to give him lots of wet food and treats. The good news is that the work should be done tomorrow. The bad news is that Thor remains terrified of overhead fans. He only recently became comfortable walking into the living room if we had our stand fan running. Currently, the living room fan is going strong, and Thor is meowing weakly under our bed. The poor little nugget. He is lovable but deeply, deeply flawed. I'll be very glad when all the work is over, especially for the sake of the poor cats.

Lastly, had my 37 week check up today. The baby is measured around 7 pounds and was reactive on the nonstress test, so par for the course. I still feel great. The doc asked me if I'd been contracting, and I said no and that I thought I was going to go late. I got a quick exam and she confirmed that really, nothing is going on that would indicate that my body is getting ready to deliver the baby. She said that's a good thing and that ideally they want all patients to go to 39 or 40 weeks, unless they have health complications. I asked if she thought the baby was too big for 37 weeks, considering that I'm nowhere near labor, and she said no, because the baby isn't HUGE, she's merely on the high side of average. So that's good. And as I told the doctor, I still have a lot of stuff to do in the next couple of weeks, so I'd really prefer that Sequins wait until her due date. Even in the heat, I'm still having a really easy, comfortable pregnancy. This baby is welcome to live inside me for as long as she'd like. Unless it's like... Christmas or something. I have outfits for her to wear!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to spending the rest of the week cleaning and nesting.

Good night, from beautiful Mission Viejo!


















1 comment:

  1. Holy crap, woman. Upon seeing the pics, now I understand the magnitude of this project.........

    ReplyDelete