Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Gettin' Prepped.

Remember how it looked like I was never going to do anything important to prepare for this baby? And how I could see the tension building around "is that girl ever going to get her crap together?" WELL, remember how I also said once I got back from Chicago it would be all baby, all the time?

I wasn't kidding! I'm home, I'm healthy, and it's all baby, all the time (except for when I am watching professional football, of course. GO PACK! We have our Packers flag up on our flagpole.)

So here's a list of how we're preparing for Sequins' arrival.
-I packed my hospital bag, so other than throwing my netbook and iPod in day of, I'm ready to go
-I did the pre-registration paperwork for the hospital so it'll be easier when we show up
-I have sorted through the baby's dresser and classified clothes by month. The 0-6 months clothes and all of the blankets have been washed and put away.
-Mom and Dad bought Sequins her snap and go car seat (not that it's in the car... but it's in our house!)
-Tim and I went to Toys R Us and bought her a mattress, a mattress pad and one fitted sheet. Not that we've put the mattress in the bed (we don't want the cats to consider sleeping on it) but the sheets are washed and her bed could be made in minutes!

Oh my goodness, taking Tim to Toys R Us was pretty hysterical. He has a lot to learn about babies. We were looking at the darling little clothes and he picked up a sleep sack and goes "this is cute... but is it something that would damage her development, because she wouldn't be able to use her legs?" I explained that it's for tiny nugget babies who aren't doing much except curling and uncurling their legs anyways, so it's more to keep her warm and happy. Then Tim goes, "I think it looks like a slug costume. Look," and then he made the sleep sack inchworm its way around the clothing rack. I thought my water was going to break, I was laughing so hard. Then Tim goes, "I like this slug costume. It's green and says I love daddy. Can we buy the slug costume for the baby?" And so we did. Her slug costume has been washed, even!

Please also remember, this is the man who insists that I call onesies "speed suits."

So, I feel like we're making some headway. And it's amazing how big the baby is getting. She still hasn't dropped an inch, but she's really turning into a person in there. I'm starting to know what part of her body she's using to kick me, or press into my ribs (hint: it's almost always her butt. And you can actually run a hand over it and feel clearly that it's a set of butt cheeks making a little hill under my skin.) One night I was laying down and Tim and I could both feel her whole little body crammed up on the high side of my belly. It's amazing to think that a few months ago she was just a little grape with paddles for arms.

Today I also spent some time at the doctors, of course. I met with the endo this morning and all is well, we'll continue along with the same medication, and he'll see me a month or so after I deliver, when they'll most likely start stepping me back down on my medication dosage. As far as lifelong conditions go, having a funky thyroid is not bad at all. I met with the OB in the afternoon and all is well there. Sequins is measuring around six pounds, per the ultrasound, and is in the 60th percentile for growth. I'm healthy, she's healthy, and I had a good talk with my doctor about my blood pressure and what I'm hoping for in terms of the rest of my prenatal care and delivery. I'd had some angst about everything, but he was very open to my concerns and we've cut my visits back from twice a week to once a week until I deliver (once a week is normal at this point.) So, all's well!

No comments:

Post a Comment