Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kate's Married and We Made It!

Some may say that taking a four hour flight while eight and a half months pregnant is unwise. You know what I think is unwise? Even THINKING about missing out on the wedding of one of my very favorite people in the whole world - my little cousin Katie.

Mom and I flew out on Tuesday morning. I wore kind of a blousey top and no one said a word to me at security or on the plane. I think in this sue-happy world, people are terrified that they might say "are you expecting?" and I might just be fat, and ready to sue because my feelings got all hurt.

Tuesday we went out to Culvers and then hung out and did some wedding planning with the lovely bride. Wednesday the moms ran floral-related errands, I napped, and then joined them for some vintage/thrift store shopping in ritzy communities near Lake Michigan. And let me tell you, ritzy ladies donate GOOD STUFF to thrift stores. Unfortunately, most of these lovely items are still outside of my price range. But man, did I ever want the vintage Valentino velvet and fur bathrobe. I guess my new $16 Target bathrobe will have to do. We also got to go and see Kate pick up her dress - she even tried it on for us. Tears were shed.

Thursday morning Mom and Lisa began their efforts to put together the centerpieces for the wedding. We blasted some jams out in the garage and got to work (I say this like I was super helpful - I was barely a participant.) Thursday was nice because all of our friends started to arrive (including the birthday boy, my sister, and my husband) and so the mood just kept getting more and more festive, including during the rehearsal dinner and subsequent birthday party back at the house for dad.

THEN IT WAS THE WEDDING DAY. I spent most of the morning and afternoon napping so that I'd be fresh as a daisy for dancing all night. Most of our party spent the day in the pool at the hotel, which was also nice.

The wedding itself was really gorgeous. The setting was beautiful with a view of the lake, the Reverend Maren gave a great little speech, and dad's reading was lovely. Kate and James wrote their own vows and it was very touching and sweet. I spent most of the wedding crying into one of my Grandma Pat's hankies, which Lisa let me have (she is a nice share bear.) And then... it was time to PARTY! Well, once we sat through a delicious dinner and some very heartfelt, very humorous, not quite fit for family audience-type speeches.

Sadly, I couldn't get my groove on as much as I normally would - I would dance a couple of songs, then go and get a glass of water and put my feet up, just to be on the safe side. But between the Thiels, the Nollins and the Freifelt girls, the dance floor was generally PACKED. Tim busted out some sweet moves during Thriller, and I showed that big fat pregnant girls can still do the running man. I got the DJ to play family favorite "Navajo Rug" and the Door County crew screamed the chorus together at our darling Kate. We were so happy to be there, dancing and having fun until the very end.

Yesterday was a day of recovery and eating at Greg and Lisa's. There was a 10 foot blow up Bucky in the front yard and a couple of cut-throat games of croquet (which included the new rule that if you break your mallet, you have to then play the rest of the game on your knees, crawling through the grass.) There was also a lot of football watching, and plenty of eating. And some napping (mostly me. Look, I'm big and fat, okay?)

We had an easy flight back today, and now I'm officially ALL BABY, ALL THE TIME. I plan on buying a crib mattress and pad and sheet to get set up, and maybe I will even pack a hospital bag. Mom bought me my carseat before we left, so really, there is very little to do except keep baking my little baby friend (who has her butt crammed up in my ribs at the moment.)

I took very few pictures this weekend, but here are a few choice ones:

Me in a rich lady castoff. SO SOFT.

Anonymous floral slaves.

Our last pre-baby vacation!

Timmy Joe and Johnny Juany doing a little relaxing yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment