Sunday, August 15, 2010

From One Hand Me Down to Another



I wouldn't say I'm totally nesting yet, but with 63 days left until the baby's due date, I figured it was time to get my butt in gear in terms of getting baby gear together. Yesterday Tim and I were in the midst of an epic, overdue house cleaning and I stopped to snap photos of our old dresser and write an ad on Craigslist, promising it free to a good home (or a bad one too, I don't care.) Within an hour, I got an email from a college-aged kid saying he could come pick it up ASAP if we were willing. PERFECT. Yet another reason why I absolutely adore the internet. The kid came by within an hour with his dad's van, and Tim helped him pull the dresser out and get it in the car. The dresser is now on its way to Cal, where it will spend the third act of its life once again holding an engineering student's socks and undies. It's very appropriate, I think.

With the old dresser gone, it was time to bring in... THE OLDER DRESSER. And Sequins' crib, which is a hand me down from my coworker Lisa. Putting the crib together feels like our first big parenting challenge, especially because during Lisa's ownership of the crib, the directions disappeared. We were able to get everything screwed together without any swearing or hollering, which means we are TOTALLY ready to raise a child together. As a double bonus, Tim finally busted out his Milwaukee drill that mom and dad (mostly dad) gave him for his 30th birthday. Dad had been disappointed with how little use the drill received, but when push came to shove, Tim wielded it well!

We don't currently have a mattress or any sheets for the bed, but we do have some beautiful handmade quilts to decorate with. The other good news is that without the mattress in place, the cats are probably less likely to try to jump into the bed. And for those who have never owned a cat, NO, the cats are not interested in "stealing the baby's breath" because that is an old wives tale and furthermore, Tim and I are responsible cat AND baby parents, and the kitties won't be allowed in Sequins' room unsupervised. Plus the bottom line is, most cats are 100% uninterested in babies overall. And I figure, I managed to survive spending my early years (okay, and current years) with my face occasionally plastered against a cat, and as a fifth generation cat lady, Sequins will be much the same. So please don't fret about kitties in the nursery.

Once we got the crib in place, we dragged in Tim's dresser and changing table from when he was a baby. Thankfully, everything fits and looks nice in there. Now all we need is to put all of the artwork on the walls and to bring in Grams' rocking chair and we should be good to go. Well, that and buying the baby a mattress to lay on. Details, details!

Here's a couple of shots of the work in progress:
Here's the view from the doorway. We'll keep the queen mattress in there for now.

Here's where she'll be spending some of her baby time. Sleeping, and pooping!

No comments:

Post a Comment