Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fattie Fattie Two by Four.

So, I'm funemployed. I'm a stay at home cat mom, and now if I don't have dinner on the table when Tim gets home, he cuffs me around.

Just kidding. It's been good so far, though on Monday morning I was a little sad about the idea of someone else doing my job, sitting in my cube, getting to hang out with all of my cool coworkers. I did not, however, miss my sucky commute. I am excited though about the opportunity to get back to making dinner every night and going to the gym on a more regular basis - the stuff that got sucked out of my life when I was working/traveling for 12 hours a day, and requiring 10 hours of sleep at night.

There's been a lot of stay at home mom work already. Yesterday I went and did the glucose tolerance test, which is standard procedure to test for gestational diabetes. They make you chug this bottle of super sugary drink and then you have to sit there for an hour, digest, and then get your blood drawn. I felt pretty crappy by the end of it, but did not throw up. I think Sequins enjoyed it though - she was SUPER active all afternoon. It reminded me of the scene in Talledega Nights where the two little boys are being rude and mouthing off to their grandpa at the table - Texas Ranger screams "I'll come at you like a spider monkey! I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!" I swear, I could hear her yelling similar sentiments from inside my insides.

Then I went and hung out with mom, which is my plan for entertaining myself until the baby comes. We had burritos at Pedros with the angels, and a little protein helped my stomach feel less disgusting.

Today I had a doctors appointment to check in on Sequins for 30 weeks. I am still getting high res ultrasounds because of my "high blood pressure" (by high blood pressure, I mean that I test poorly in the ten minutes before and after the ultrasounds - normally my blood pressure, when taken at home, is 120/70. But obviously, the fact that it's 150/80 at the doctors is a concern for them. I still won't actually cop to having high blood pressure.) Anyways. Grandma Eileen came with me, and we got to have lunch together and peruse the darling baby clothes at Nordstrom before heading over to the doctors.

Usually if I have to wait for the high res technician, I wait 30-45 minutes, but today we got taken back right away. And oh man, is Sequins ever cute. She's already head down (which means it's been feet I've been feeling in my ribs!) and through most of the appointment she had her little hand up by her face, posing. To get an idea of the baby's size, they measure the size of her belly and the size of her head, and the tech said that she's measuring at about four pounds, which is in the 80th percentile for size. And to think, I was hoping I wouldn't have a monster sized baby.

The good news is that she's big but not abnormally so. And the fact that she is robust and thriving gives credence to the idea that I'm not suffering from high BP (if I really was, she'd be more likely to be on the small side.) When I met with the doctor, he ordered a non-stress test and an amniotic fluid check two weeks from now, and then another high-res ultrasound to check on her size. But he seems mostly unconcerned about her progress towards goals, and all of my lab work has come back perfect, so the odds of me actually having pre-eclampsia at this point are low. I'm pretty sure that in two weeks I'll pass all of the various baby tests and get my permission slip to fly out to Chicago for Kate's wedding (which, after a healthy baby, is my #1 goal for fall.)

Here's my little nugget girl. Her head is on the right side with her little nose and mouth in profile, and then her hand is up by her face.

So it's a good day! Tomorrow I'm going to up to LA to visit some girlfriends and on Thursday Tim and I are taking our childbirth class (it's not lamaze - it's basically a "this is what to do when you arrive at Mission Hospital, this is what to expect while you're at our hospital." We still need to figure out some lamaze/how to breathe while squeezing out a human being classes.) And then on Friday I'm going to sit and stare at my mom, in thanks for her giving birth to me. STARE STARE STARE.

No comments:

Post a Comment