Tuesday, June 8, 2010

LEVEL TWO.

For the past month or so, I have been thinking every day about how I can't wait to see my Baby Sequins again. Today was our Level 2 ultrasound, FINALLY. For the level 2, I had to meet with the ultrasound tech (instead of just our doctor) who uses a higher resolution machine to check out the baby. The level 2 allows you to look at the baby's spine, heart and brain, and is usually where they screen for possible birth defects like spina bifida, heart problems, brain deformities and problems with internal organs.

Tim came with me, because he is supportive, and because he is also interested in the healthy development of our little muffin. The appointment was at 1. At 1:15 they took us back and I did the usual weight, blood pressure, pee in the cup routine. And then we sat in an exam room for almost 40 minutes, waiting for the doctor. Wait, it gets better. He comes in and asks if we've had the ultrasound yet, and I say no. Apparently, I made it on his schedule, but not on the techs. GREAT. He leaves the room to see if they can squeeze us in, and of course, I start to cry. I just wanted to see her so badly! I wanted to be able to go to Wisconsin with a handful of high resolution photos, and more importantly, the knowledge that she was developing normally. I am a worrywart, I admit it.

He came back and said the u/s tech would take us next. And then told me to stop crying. =)

It was good because then we got a chance to ask him more questions - as long as my blood pressure stays okay he says there's no reason I can't travel to Chicago for Kate's wedding in September. However, because my pressure is high in his office, he seems to feel that I won't make it to 40 weeks - he keeps talking like I'll be induced or have a scheduled c-section at 37 weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can do this naturally, but of course, I just want a healthy baby at the end. We have learned the hard way in the past week that pre-eclampsia is basically a horrible nightmare, so I am willing to do whatever it takes.

Carrie, the fabulous u/s tech took us back and gelled up my belly and there Baby Sequins was, live and in action. I began crying again, of course. She's absolutely beautiful and right on track in terms of her growth and development. Most importantly, all of her little organs are developing perfectly - her brain, her spine, her heart, her kidneys, her bladder. Her heartbeat is strong, and at 162 beats per minute. She's already learned how to swallow in there (her bladder has fluid in it) and she had her little hands up by her face (which made me laugh, because Tim had been saying that he bet that she'd be in there staring at her hands, amazed at her own development, like someone high on drugs. "Whoa... dude... look at my HANDS!")

We didn't get a clear profile shot, but man, it was so cute to look at all of her little parts. It's amazing that the blob on my 7 week ultrasound photo now has hands and feet and knees and a nose. We also reconfirmed that she is most certainly a girl, but out of respect for her privacy, I shan't be posting a picture of her business.

I know what you're thinking... enough with the words Ford, where are the pictures! We came for the pictures! Ask and ye shall receive.

Here's her little skull and spine.

I can't wait to nibble on her little piddies and teach her how this one went to market and this one cried wee wee wee all the way home!

Here she is, being defiant and refusing to roll towards the camera for her profile photo. She's trying to wave us off. You can also see her round little belly and her thigh.

So, tomorrow we're off to Wisconsin, FINALLY! I cannot wait to eat Culvers and see the green, green grass and ride around on Uncle John's lawnmower.

I even bought a carrier for all of my prenatals!

No comments:

Post a Comment