Monday, June 28, 2010

Bobert and Nancy Are Wed!

We've almost made it through the month of June, which means that I've officially survived my four solid weekends of craziness. And I'm officially six months pregnant and cruising towards the third trimester. The fact that I am absolutely exhausted is definitely a little from column a, a little from column b.

Friday morning we flew up to the Bay Area for Bob and Nancy's wedding. Bob and Tim lived together during their last years at UCLA (Tim took six years to graduate; Bob took eight.) You may also remember Bob and Nancy as our faithful adventuring companions in Scotland back in 2008. Anyways - Bobert finally proposed to Nancy and the wedding was on Saturday. A funny story about Bob and Nancy: they went to the same high school but are a few years apart. They met again in college through everyone's mutual friend Adi (who also brought Tim and I together.) I was in Toronto at the time, and I'd called my long-distance boyfriend Tim to hear about his weekend. He told me about going to a party at Adi's house, where Bob had met this girl Nancy. And they'd all stayed up talking until four in the morning, talking, Tim, Bob and Nancy. Apparently Bob and Nancy really hit it off! When he told me this, I said, "you are the worst wingman in the entire world! If Bob hit it off with this girl, why didn't you leave them alone together?" His brilliant response? "I was Bob's ride home!" Because you know, Bob and Adi lived close to an entire mile apart! Thankfully, Bob and Nancy overcame Tim's idiocy. Also funny: at the time, Bob gave Tim a lot of garbage for being in a long-distance relationship. Until he met a girl who was going to school in the Bay Area. Then it was cool to retreat to your room to call your girlfriend and whisper sweet nothings!

So, we traveled with Jacob in tow. My two husbands are excellent traveling companions. They are docile and quiet, they carry my bags and they deal with driving. In return, I just have to be responsible for planning the trip, paying for tickets, printing boarding passes and keeping our itinerary. And packing.

We had a good flight up and were able to check into our hotel early. After a four am wakeup, I went back to sleep for an hour and half until we met up with the bridal party for a welcome lunch. It sort of set the tone for the weekend - at every turn Bob and Nancy were so sweet and hospitable and making sure we had a nice time. We basically didn't need to think about meals or entertainment all weekend long.

Tim and I were both in the wedding - he was a groomsman and I read e.e. cummings "i carry your heart" during the ceremony. We went to the rehearsal at the Stanford Cathedral (so incredibly beautiful) and then the rehearsal dinner, which was at a local diner and very kickback. It was nice to see groups of friends we haven't really seen since college (or since our wedding, when most of the boys were drunk) and catch up with everyone.

Saturday morning we went over to Bob and Nancy's hotel at 8am so the boys could get ready together. I helped tie ties and fasten vests and pin on flowers, and then we were all downstairs for the trolley ride to the church (so cute!) Nancy looked absolutely beautiful and we were all just having a good time hanging out together. They got most of the photos out of the way before the ceremony and then it was go time! They had a pretty traditional ceremony and it was just perfect. I cried a little during my reading (I am SUCH a sap!) and then one of their friends put together a poem about Bob and Nancy based on quotes from their friends. It was so sincere and spot on and wonderful. Then there was kissing and man and wifing! And Tim walked back down the aisle with Adi, the bridesman. Truly touching.

The reception was at a historic mansion, and it was beautiful beyond belief. They had passed appetizers and open bar and really good strawberry lemonade. We went in to lunch around 1:30 and started with soup, salad and really sweet speeches. It was a great party, overall. Food was good, dancing was fun, and there was both cake AND pie! We got back on the trolley around 5:30 and headed back to the Four Seasons. Tim and I changed into comfy clothes and then the party of college-friends basically crashed out by the pool. We ordered pizza, there was a guy with a bottle of bourbon and a flask of water (ick) and people were just sitting around, talking trash and having a good time. We eventually ended up back in the honeymoon suite, until Bob and Nancy kicked us out around 11. Downstairs, some of the boys were having a drinking contest at the bar, and others were outside smoking, so it was me and my tired belly's cue to leave (thankfully, my entourage of nice boys was not wasted or stupid.)

Yesterday morning we had a dim sum brunch as a last hurrah. We didn't fly home until 6, so we had a few hours to kill. We went to a Borders in downtown Palo Alto to laze around, I got a pedicure and also explored a fabulous local vintage store (didn't buy any treasures though.) We ended up spending time back with Bob and Nancy in their hotel room (where we found out our flight was delayed) and then thankfully, got to the airport and home okay. I am still feeling pretty pooped today. Mama can't party the way she used to! This whole growing another human life thing... it can be a lot of work!

Here are the gentlemen that I dressed. Roger, Timmy Joe, Adi, Bob and his brother/best man Stephen.

The lovely couple during their vows.

The new Mr. and Mrs. on the trolley ride to the reception. Please note that Tim is still trying to horn in on their conversation!

At the reception. Andy (back row) was my new BFF. He said "Bob and Nancy told me I'd like you. They said 'you'll like Meg, she swears like a sailor.'"

Not my picture, but a shot of the head table. It was SUCH a nice wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment