Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Dry Heat.

June is busting out all over! Which means of course, that the Fords are traveling all over.

This weekend we were off to Arizona for Tim's friend and former coworker Andrew's wedding. Tim and Andrew worked together at EA, along with many of the other nerds we know and love. On Friday night, we rounded up some of those nerds and headed out for Tempe, AZ. We left around 7:30. I brought a pillow and a blanket and most importantly, dad's noise canceling headphones, to drone out the nerd talk in the car.

After a few tears over Coach Wooden's passing in the car, I passed out around 10:30 and woke up as we were pulling off the freeway. It wasn't a bad drive, but it wasn't that comfortable either. We checked in and then basically checked out for some super sleeping.

Saturday morning we met for breakfast, and managed to run into the Wang family in the dining room. It was nice to say hi to Andrew on his big day and meet his parents and brothers. We'd driven with nerd friends Ed and Josh, and Matt, nerd friend who now lives in North Carolina had flown in and was able to join us for breakfast.

The wedding was at 1:30 on Saturday, so we cleaned up and hung out in our hotel room for a bit (watching John Wooden coverage) before leaving for the church. I had not really expected for Phoenix to be as hot as it was... and man, it was hot. It was over 100 degrees on Saturday! Thankfully, everything was indoors and air conditioned.

Lydia and Andrew both have big families and a lot of family friends, so the church was full. Andrew cried like a baby at the sight of his beautiful bride, and barely made it through his vows. He cried even harder than Tim! After a very nice ceremony, there was a cake and punch reception in the fellowship hall and once the photos were over (...and hour and a half later) Dr. and Mr. Wang came in and cut the cake and tossed their boquets and garters. By then it was 3:30ish and I was starting to feel a might peckish, so we skedaddled back to the hotel and I guzzled some water and took an hour nap.

Refreshed, I rejoined the nerds and we headed out for the reception at a local restaurant. Lydia is Chinese, and Andrew is half-Chinese, so they had a big traditional Chinese banquet. A lot of speeches, a lot of prayers (both dads are ministers), a LOT of food. Including a fish with his head still on. Always makes me a little uncomfortable when my food tries to stare me down. We had a really nice time with everyone, and then afterwards, in the 95 degree heat (a dry heat, you know) the boys decided they needed to go into the pool. Unfortunately, not all the boys had suits, so we went to a local Walmart and screwed around, buying junk food, booze drinks and bathing suits (I bought a plastic bracelet in Bruin colors.)

By the time we got back to the hotel it was almost 10, so the boys got in their suits, grabbed their beers and floated around. I dipped my toes into the pool, but was in bed and asleep before midnight. Baby Sequins and I had had enough fun for the day!

This morning I dragged the boys out of bed and we got ready to head out. We dropped Matt back at the airport and grabbed breakfast at the Waffle House. Ed was very familiar with the Waffle House from the midwest, and told us that it wasn't a real Waffle House experience unless the waitress dropped your food, brought your food twice, or was clearly on the drugs. Right after he said that, our waitress (who was very sweet, truly) came over with our breakfast... and dropped my hashbrowns on the floor. NO, MY PRECIOUS CHEESE AND JALAPENO HASHBROWNS!

It took us much longer to drive home than it did to drive to AZ, probably because I was awake and wanted to stop and look at things. The car was hot as heck until I finally took my pillowcase off the pillow and stuck it over my window (where the sun was streaming in.) I felt like a toddler doing it, but Ed and I both agreed that it made the backseat instantly cooler. Any time Tim or Josh would try to turn down the AC, they'd get a complaint from the backseat. Sorry your arms are cold buddies, but we are sweating bullets back here!

Our best stop was in Quartzsite, AZ. We needed gas and the boys were interested in buying snacks and DQ Blizzards. I discovered that there was a bead and jewelry store, and of course darted across the road to browse (cleverly leaving the phone in my car so Tim couldn't call and tell me to get my butt back.) I bought some beads and a bracelet. And then the boys joined me for the trading post type store, which had a bear in the world's best squash blossom necklace. Check him, he even has a fierce anklet.



The store featured a lot of dead things.

We also stopped outside of Palm Desert to visit some sweet dinosaurs, and check out the gift store.


After that, a stop at Del Taco (not pictured) and one more gas stop before we finally made it home. Compared to Phoenix, Mission Vee-jo feels cold and rainy.

Now, one day of work in LA, one day of working from home (and my level 2 ultrasound to check out my beautiful baby girl) and then we're off to Wisconsin! Makes me glad that I am apparently awesome at being pregnant and not uncomfortable yet at all. Bring on the frequent flier miles!

Josh, Matt, Tim and Ed at the airport. Not pictured: Andrew or his wedding. Matt had a way better camera, so I am counting on his photos to document the magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment