Monday, June 21, 2010

The Farmer in the Dell.

Many newsy tidbits for y'all today.

I spent this past Saturday night in a tent, helping one of my very best girlfriends celebrate her 30th birthday. She'd bought herself a tent and wanted to camp out somewhere, so at the last minute we were able to get a reservation at Irvine Lake in Silverado Canyon. After a delicious meal of Mexican food we headed over to the site, pitched our tent and settled in to goof off, hike around, and then play Scrabble by flashlight. We didn't totally follow the rules or keep score, but after she started drinking, I definitely started winning! The night in the tent was pretty okay - it definitely fit us both, I had an air mattress, and I was plenty warm in our sleeping bag, which is an ancient, down-filled mummy-style sleeping bag that Tim used as a Boy Scout (I also suspect it hasn't been pulled out of its bag since the last Boy Scout jamboree. But it didn't smell or anything, which is all I ask.)

Here I am checking in with Tim before bed.



Sunday morning we walked around the park a little - it's definitely more for fishers and boaters than hikers and campers, but it was still a nice time, and then we had a great afternoon together before she headed home and I headed over to mom and dad's to await their return from sailing. They came back a little sunburnt but no worse for wear. Good old Capt. Stubing, he got them home safely. We didn't have a very big celebration, but I think Dad felt nice that Sara and I were so eager for him to get home and allow us to fete him. Baby Sequins signed the card for her grandpa. And her daddy as well - I didn't see Tim until after 9, but I can assure you, the baby picked him a couple of good presents, and I told him how very nice he is and how excited I am to see him as a father.

In other news, Tim and I are growing some of our own food! Sure, mom planted most of the plants, but I haven't killed them yet, and that to me is a fairly big accomplishment. In our front yard, we have tomaters, lemons and oranges. Only the tomaters are mature enough to be giving us food yet, and last night I picked my very first tomato! It was a thing of beauty. I put it on the counter over night, and intended to use it for dinner tonight. Except, when I got home, it wasn't there. I called mom and accused her of stealing my "harvest," thinking maybe she saw it, thought "Meg doesn't really like tomatoes" and took it for herself (I do like tomatoes, but it's a very recent development.) She hadn't taken it, and a minute later, I found it on the floor, where Thor had moved it. BAD THORY. We had it with dinner tonight and it was absolutely delicious.


On the side yard, we have two peach trees that were planted before we moved in. However, neither of them had been very well cared for in recent years obviously and mom advised me to have them ripped out (especially because we couldn't tell from their scraggly stumps what kind of fruit they were going to bear.) When Ricardo checked them out, he said they were both peaches, and that with a little TLC they'd bear fruit. Since I have been known to eat enough stone fruit on Monday to make myself sick, and then start over eating them again on Tuesday morning, there was no way I was having them ripped out. One tree has really grown and is absolutely exploding with fruit. The peaches aren't huge, but some of them were really starting to get ripe, so tonight we did a little picking.


We also had to get to work because one of the branches had broken under its own weight. So we picked the ripe ones off the rest of the tree (except for the ones on the very top. I must admit, I did consider climbing the tree to get to them. Yes, I realize I'm pregnant, so I stayed on the ground. And cried!) We also picked the biggest ones off the broken branch before we threw the rest away.


LOOK AT OUR HARVEST! I am going to make myself absolutely sick in the coming weeks, I can see it.


Some of you may be asking, Meg, how are your cat children? They are good, thank you. The newspapers over the sliders has really helped Thor calm down. He's simply unable to get nose to nose with Jonesy, so there's a lot fewer opportunities for freaking - only when the glass doors are open can they see one another, and the doors are only open when Tim and I are home. So when we catch Jonesy sniffing around, we can just close the glass. I'm also hoping Jonesy will eventually get bored of our yard and move along, but I don't think so. He's such a little turd! Now he's started to hiss at me through the glass. He doesn't realize I'm many times his size and not scared of him. I'd never hurt him, but I'm not afraid to give him a little kick in the ass or a spray with the hose. Today he hissed at me and I grabbed my water spray bottle from under the sink and gave him a squirt. He ran away like a little bitch (he's even more scared of the water bottle than Thory!)

The last thing I would like to share with you (for now) is this great video that a friend of Andrew and Lydia's put together about their wedding. It's only about 5 minutes long, and it's super cute. Trust me - I know you don't know the bride and groom, but this will make you smile. I also LOVE the song featured at the end. It's called "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. I downloaded it yesterday, and I've listened to it probably 25 times between then and now. It makes me want to dance around. Which is good, because Sequins can now hear music AND sense me moving around. I hope she knows how much this family loves singing and dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment