Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Few More Firsts!

We are really starting to live in this house, it's true.

Last night I decided it would be nice to have a fire in our fire place for the first time. We have a gas log, so I figured, how hard can this be? Tim got a new lighter in his stocking so it's on! Except, I managed to create a fireball that burnt off part of my eyebrows and most of my eyelashes. It's funny and I am joking about it because thank God, my vanity was the only thing injured. I did freak out and stand in the kitchen with shaking legs for quite awhile. But then I recovered and sat in front of the fireplace for awhile, reading a book. I am going to have to coat on the mascara for awhile, but all is well. And now I know better.

Secondly, we raked the backyard for the first time with our new rake. So take that, those who thing we are crap at yardwork (we totally are, but it works for us.) The entire time we were out there, we were being harassed by our little friend Jonesy. I think his parents are out of town, so we gave him a handful of food and told him to scat.

I have also decided that if the neighbors aren't going to drag out the welcome wagon to me, I will bring it to them, as a midwesterner. I made a batch of cookies yesterday and took some up the street to Kerry, a cool girl my age-ish that mom met a couple of weeks ago and thought was great. She let mom use her green bin, which is the way into mom's heart. Kerry has three little kids and just moved here from Utah, so she and I are going to be new friends. I am also going to bring cookies to our next door neighbors (whom I have still not met) but they don't appear to be home today. The cookies can wait in the fridge - I am coming for you, next door folks! I just think it's weird not to at least come over and say hello.

I can't believe our holiday break is almost over. The thought makes me want to throw myself on the floor and have a tantrum, though I know once I see my delightful coworkers on Monday I will be happy as a clam. I did check my work email this week, and found out that we got a $20,000 grant - so that starts off my year quite nicely. Between that and getting up at 7 to go to kickboxing this morning, I am on a roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment