Wednesday, November 4, 2009

You Choo-Choo Choose Me?

I am officially a taker of public transport, and a commuter into downtown LA! I picked up my metro pass on Monday and took my first train ride on Tuesday morning. I take the Metrolink to Union Station, and then the red line Metro to the 7th street station. From there, it's a quick walk of a couple of blocks (thankfully, past two Starbucks and a Coffee Bean, should I need a pick me up, after getting up in the pre-dawn hours.)

It's a pretty easy process, though not short by any means. I get on the train at 7:17 in Laguna Niguel, and walk into the office around 9am. I leave the office a little after 5 and am back in my car at 7. I'm hoping as I get more comfortable, I can just sleep on the way there, and then read or possibly do work on the way home. I haven't had any discussion yet with my workplace in terms of working from home one or two days a week or anything like that, but my boss is really great about respecting the work/life balance, so if the commute becomes a crushing issue, I assume she'll work with me as much as she can, as long as my work is being done properly. I love my job, and I want to keep it as long as I can. Right now we're putting together our annual campaign, and the stories about the kids we serve are really inspiring.

So, yesterday I read an entire book during my train ride. Today I got almost half way through Barbara Kingsolver's new novel, which is absolutely delicious. Today's train ride was slightly less awesome than yesterdays - we were delayed because of an accident, and I realized I'd left my cell phone charging on the downstairs counter. Oops. When we got off the train, the conductor said "make the rest of today a good one, and see you tomorrow," which made me smile. Then I spilled coffee down my shirt.

Things with the house are still moving along well. Tim and I went over last night around 8 to explore. We were able to turn some lights on throughout the house, but then the bedrooms we explored with flashlights. Like prowlers. Even in the half-dark, it looks amazing, and I can't wait to move in. The good news is that we're going to be able to start living there over the weekend, and are bringing the kitties too. As I told a friend - now I can have my junk throw haphazardly around my own house instead of my parents'. The carpet goes in on Tuesday, and then we'll be able to arrange the rest of the furniture. Most importantly, internet is installed this Friday so that we can check our email over the weekend! DirecTV next Wednesday. Hopefully this weekend we can go buy a new bedroom set and a washer and dryer to be delivered, and then we should be good to go. Until mom comes over and starts making me do yard work. Today she said I would have to buy a shovel. I don't quite know why - I don't intend on burying anyone in my backyard (YET.)

No new pictires to post - just my regular stupid stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment