Sunday, October 18, 2009

Walk Through!

It's been a busy and exciting weekend. Friday night we drove out to Buena Park and met up to do Knotts "Scary" Farm. I'd been once before in college, and had a great time. I figured, since we pushed back the baby timeline, I might as well take advantage and do the sort of fun things that I can't do when I'm preggo or nursing. Like... ride roller coasters and drink. I also hope we can go skiing once this winter, and I can totally show Tim up.

We had a really fun night. The whole point of the park is that they have mazes and people in costume whose job it is to jump out at you and make noise and be scary. If you are like me and startle easily, there is a lot of squealing. If you are a boy and like Tim, you get to take advantage of laughing at your wife. You can also be a big dork and suggest the log ride when your wife is wearing a white shirt - I spent that ride being more worried about the water than the guys dressed up like zombies. We got to go on a few big roller coasters, and also the swings and the mexican hats (like the teacups.) It was a full night of fun!

Saturday morning we spent packing the apartment. I got the entire kitchen boxed up, which was sort of crazymaking. Oh, wedding presents that I unwrapped 4 years ago and never used... I wish I had left you wrapped! Tim got the entertainment center cleaned out and tidied up, and I also went through the closet and sorted out things that should stay hung and not get packed.

Saturday night we went to the Walt Disney Concert Hall for the first time, to hear music inspired by the City of Angels, conducted by John Williams. It was songs from famous movies, including some of John Williams' finest. I really enjoyed the love theme from Vertigo, and it was pretty awesome when they came out and did the march from Empire Strikes Back as the encore. I'd been inside the Walt Disney Concert Hall for a function, but not inside the hall itself - it's really beautiful and striking. Hopefully we can go again!

AND THE EXCITEMENT DOESN'T END THERE!

This morning we packed the cars and drove down to the OC. The entire back seat of my car was covered in coats and dresses and costumes that need to stay hung. Tim is kind of amused as to how much stuff I have. I have some seriously great dresses though! We stopped by mom and dad's to dump our junk, and then went over to historic MISSION VIEJO to walk through the house.

We were greeted out from by Jonesy, the local cat. Apparently he was owned by an older couple, and when the wife died, the husband let the cats out because he couldn't care for them. One got hit by a car, but Jonsey has managed to survive, by being half-adopted by the people across the street from us. They already have four pets so can't take him full time. I strongly suspect that once we get settled into our house, and once the cats adjust, Jonsey and I will be making a trip to the vet for some shots and a flea bath, and then he will become my newest cat child. Just sayin'. I have already told Lulu and Thor about their new brother. Right now they are laying on our unfolded boxes, caring not a whit.

Our parents were able to all meet us, so Eileen got to see the house in the flesh for the first time. It's still in a state of disarray. Some of the furniture has been removed, but some has not. The garage is still stuffed with junk and there is food in the cupboards. The sister (it's a brother-sister team selling their parents' house) is staying there and trying to get things cleaned out, but she's going to have a hard sprint trying to get it all done before they tent for termites on Friday. Thankfully, Rita our realtor is pragmatic and awesome, and is like, "well, if worse comes to worse, I know some guys we can bring in to clean this out." Rita is so amazing. In the meanwhile, I am trying to only stress out about two or three things at once, so I am just assuming that we will not close early, and that we will not be able to start painting until November 2nd. It's only a matter of a couple of days delay - it's not worth pitching a fit over. Plus, I feel for the poor woman. Her parents were obviously a little packratty (there are old high chairs and broken lawn chairs in the garage that should have met the dumpster 20 years ago) and it's a lot to shift through, especially if you are still mourning the passing of your parents.

Still, I CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE IN AND LIVE THERE. The house is so stinking cute - even better then I remember. I love the wood floors, I love all of the sliding glass doors, I love the 70s retro character and I love the little picture window in the family room.

Tim and I brought paint colors to look at, and are beginning to decide where the furniture is going to go. We finally figured out the difference between family and living room. Family room = the blue room with the cat couch and the picture window next to the kitchen, Living room = room with TV, and big slider out to the backyard. The family room is the one people traditionally just furnish and never use.

Here are some shots that I took today, featuring rooms that Tim neglected to photograph last time.

The master bedroom. It has a large mirrored closet, and then a slider out to the yard, which I LOVE.

Here's the crew looking out into the yard.

Shot of the backyard, from the slider.

Our little red master bathroom. You can see here the random beam going across the bathroom. The bathroom was apparently redone at some point, and they didn't take the beam down. I guess at one point the bathrooms were set up with a little atrium? No one really knows, but I like it.

Shot down the hall to the family room.

Another shot of the little doors between the foyer and the family room. I just think they're so cute!

Here's the picture window in the family room. When I was a little girl, I wanted a picture windo so bad - now I am actually going to have one! I am going to curl up and read there every day like Emily of New Moon.

Can you believe that they're giving us to yahoos the money to buy a house? Yeah, me neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment