Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Last Update from Ireland.

I have so many beautiful pictures to share and so many lovely stories to tell, but alas, not a lot of time, and not much of an internet connection. Last night we were in Belfast, at the Hotel Europa, which is the most bombed hotel in all the world. You know what's unsettling? Having a fire alarm go off while you are in the most bombed hotel in the world. Thankfully, a false alarm. You would think the most bombed hotel in the world would have better internet connection, but theirs was the worst wireless yet (and most expensive) and so this morning, I had to get my Packers.com news from the concierge desk (the man was nice enough to let me use his computer for a moment... and ruin my morning. Now all of my hope goes back to my boyfriend Joe Mauer of the Minnesota Twins.)

Tonight we're in Swords. That's right, you heard me, SWORDS. It's only 15 minutes away from the airport, so it will make our getaway tomorrow quite easy. The hotel has cheap (but not free internet.) The only real downside is that the jack in Tim and I's room is broken, so I had to borrow the one in Jake's room, and basically kick him out so that I could Skype. He and Tim are doubtlessly watching some ridiculous action movie in our room. Though they are probably enjoying themselves (or kissing, you never know with those two bruddahs) I don't want to bogart his room for very much longer. That is my long winded way of saving that the last few days of our travelogue will have to wait until we are back in good old American soil.

It's hard to believe the trip is almost over. It's amazing how much of the island we've seen - from the big cities to the little towns. From the Dingle peninsula to the northern most point (where we drove today.) We've seen a lot of castles and murals and ruins and churches, and we had a lot of good meals and some great company. The landscape has been absolutely beautiful and the weather has been amazingly good. And Don, despite a few scares here in and there, has not killed anyone (human or animal) or rammed the car into anything. Mostly importantly, we are all still on speaking terms after 12 straight days together. That's what family is all about!

I leave you with two quick pictures.

This is the view from the front of Grandpa Fitzpatrick's house. You can see why it would make someone want to move to America. OR NOT. I am totally going to move into the little cottage up the hill for the summer.

Here are the worldly travelers, at the Crown Bar in Belfast, one of Europe's best pubs (apparently.) The booth has a little door so you can get drunk and snuggle.

1 comment:

  1. Meg, thanks for updating us every day. I was like a drug addict - I had to get my “Ireland trip” fix every afternoon! I’m glad you all had a good trip and a safe trip (in spite of “most bombed” buildings and “wrong-side” driving).

    Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete