Friday, January 16, 2009

Getting Ready to Fly!

We are not packed, but certainly, we are mentally ready for Hawaii!

So Scotland was to celebrate the wedding of Tim's bestie, and Hawaii is to celebrate the wedding of my bestie. Frank (who I call Fluffy) and I have been friends since freshman year of college. It's an odd friendship, in its ways, and totally awesome. Having a boy as a best friend is one of my favorite things in the world (which is why I like having Tim as my BEST best friend.) Fluffy and I, in addition to being there to talk about each others gross emotions and relationship dramas over the years, are also like a meanspirited brother and sister. There is nothing we like better than laughing at each other.

Here is the sign I held up when he graduated from UCLA.


Here he is at his recent "bachelorette" party. Since Pari and I were not invited to the bachelor party in Vegas (being girls and all) we took Fluffy out for dinner and cookies in Westwood. We know how to party hard. Pari was like, "there is no way he's going to wear the tiara" but wear the tiara he did.

He and his wife have been dating for a little over a year, and decided to get married in Hawaii to keep things small. They're expecting about 40 people, and asked me to be in the bridal party. My official title is Groomslady. It's nice because I got out of having to plan all of the foofy girl stuff and act excited about dyable shoes, while still being able to be a part of my friend's big day. Also, I get to wear the same bridesmaids dress that I wore in Parissa's wedding this past summer (which we bought off the rack at Macy's to begin with!) A few months ago, Fluffy asked me if I would do a speech during the ceremony. He said something about how since the officiant at the wedding won't know either of them (they're getting married at a hotel) they wanted their friends to stand up and say something to personalize it. I figured Jasmin would have someone speak for her side, and there would be some sweet emotional moments, and then I would get up and do what I do best: make fun of Fluff. I wrote my speech in a teasing, loving sister way, and closed it with some emotionality. And then I found out that I am actually the *ONLY* person speaking during the wedding. Needless to say, I have rewritten my speech to soften the jokes (a little) and bring in more of that good old ooshy gooshy love stuff. I'm also planning to read a passage from one of my all time favorite books, Corelli's Mandolin.

He really shouldn't have told me I could get up and do whatever I want. I may break into an impromptu hula if the spirit moves me.

Other than our wedding related duties (luncheon on Tuesday, wedding on Wednesday) we don't have any real plans. I'm sure we'll go out and see the Pearl Harbor memorial. I'd like to go out to the Dole plantation and eat a bunch of pineapples. And I bought a new bathing suit, so I am definitely ready to lounge around on the beach. We are probably the whitest Californians in all the world and I worry about those who put their towels near us.

Plus, you know, we've been working hard for TWO WHOLE WEEKS since our last vacation, and we definitely need some time off to decompress and relax.

Yes, we are brats, it's true. To paraphrase the immortal Three Six Mafia - it's hard out there for a D.I.N.K. (dual income, no kids.)

No comments:

Post a Comment