Monday, August 4, 2014

Runner Runner.

A bit of shameless self promotion here. As you may know, I took up running (again) after having the kids. It was something I could do for myself, without having to inconvenience any one else. I don't have to ask for babysitting, I don't have to put the kids in skeevy gym day care, and most importantly, I don't have to wake up early or stay up late. We get up, we have breakfast, I throw on my workout clothes and slather myself in sunscreen, and off we go in the fancy jogging stroller for about an hour. It's an hour where I'm with them, but getting time to myself. They get some fresh air, the chance to see animals of all types (dogs, birds, the occasional bunny) and importantly, they get to see me take care of myself. I tell Ellie often that exercise is something I do to make myself feel good, and truly, it's a huge sanity saver for me. Pushing two enormous kids and an enormous stroller wears me out, but skipping my jogging makes me feel sluggish and crummy for the day.

So. Mondays and Thursdays I run longer distances because Ellie's in preschool and so I only have a twenty pound ham in the stroller. Plus, he doesn't yammer at me nonstop, so I usually listen to my iPod and feel a little more motivated. I was bragging to Jake about my recent accomplishments, and he encouraged me to sign up for a half marathon. AND LIKE AN IDIOT, I DID.

I am running the Disneyland half marathon over Labor Day weekend, and I signed up via Special Olympics, which means that I am not only running for my own terrible, foolish pride and sense of accomplishment, but to fund raise for Special Olympics of Southern California.

If you are feeling up to it, please support SOSC, and my insanity via my fundraising link. Hopefully I can keep up my mileage over the next few weeks, and come back with some fun photos of my sweaty, sad misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment