Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lucky #7

Well, I am officially 7 months pregnant as of today. The good news is that my back isn't bothering me as much as it was earlier in the week (when it hurt to try to lean over to get pants on) and though I've realized that my non-pregnancy shirts are getting almost too short in the front, I'm managing to get along pretty okay. (don't worry Grandma, I ordered more maternity shirts, I'm not going to walk around with my gut hanging out.)

Now that I've got 12 weeks left to go (plus or minus) I'm starting to actually worry about things like how we're going to get the baby out, and what we'll do with her once she's out. Suddenly, I really feel pregnant. I AM GOING TO BE SOMEONE'S PARENT! WHO THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA? So. I've signed us up for childbirth 101 class at our hospital (it's more tour-y and less lamaze-y) and for infant CPR. I've ordered books about giving birth. I have a list of questions to bring to my OB, and we're starting to figure it out. I just keep reminding myself that women have given birth for centuries, and my body will know what to do. And of course, no matter how prepared I am, I'll still have no idea what to expect (other than that it will probably hurt a lot.) The best news is that Tim is a truly wonderful partner to have around - he's been so helpful as I become less and less useful, and I know he'll be great in the delivery room with me. And he's going to be an absolutely fabulous father to our little Sequins. Even if half the time when he talks to my stomach, he accidentally swears. Baby earmuffs! Truthfully though, we are both very much looking forward to becoming a family of three and getting a chance to hold and snuggle our little girl.

Monday morning starts my last two weeks at work. I have a couple of important reports to wrap up and a grant or two left to send. I feel like I'll be going out on a good note - it doesn't hurt that on Tuesday we got $125,000 in funding that we weren't expecting. Trena and I did happy pregnant dances of joy (thankfully, no one went into labor.) My replacement starts shadowing me on Monday, so hopefully I can impart all of my worldly knowledge on him. The good news is that I truly love and appreciate my coworkers, my boss and my department, so if they need anything from me after I leave, I will answer their phone calls. And I've already promised Anja that when they start stuffing annual funding envelopes in November, I will bring Sequins up for a visit (she needs to start learning about volunteerism early!)

What else? Thory had cat heartburn this week, so on mom's recommendation we gave him a little Prevacid. It's been a long time since we've rammed a pill down his throat and he DID NOT LIKE. In the middle of it, he farted on me, and let me tell you, he STINKS. He was like a skunk, trying to spray me to get away (too bad I just soldiered through and made him take his medicine.) Tim said he woke up last night and Lulu and I were laying with the tops of our heads touching, all curled up together. She insists on spooning with me at all costs.

Our peach tree is done for the summer, but our little tomato plants are blooming, and our lemon tree has tiny baby lemons trying to grow into delicious tart friends. I'm going to turn them into cake!

This weekend we're doing dinner parties - I'm making dessert for both (carrot cupcakes!) It's nice to feel like we've got some pals in Orange County, and it's fun to have couple friends. Hooray for being grown ups!

In closing, here is a picture of me and my gestating human baby. I can't suck it in any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment