Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Happy Birthday Grandma Rosie!

Our beloved Grandma Rosie turned 90 this past weekend, and we were lucky enough to get to head out to Wisconsin and celebrate with her. Would you like to hear about our comedy of errors in traveling? You know you would.

Mom's platinum status on American allowed all six of us (Dad had headed out earlier) to sit in the extra leg row seats for regular price, which is nice for containing children and giving Tim leg room. When we got on, I made mom help me and my short arms move some stuff in an overhead bin so that we could jam Sara's suitcase up there - damn you business traveling dudes who think you can put your giant roll aboard AND your backpack in the bins, like your feet are too big to be near your bag underneath your seat. If you think an angry short woman and a grandma won't rearrange your possessions, YOU ARE WRONG.

Anyhow. Another extra leg room seat perk is that you get early access to the beverage cart. About forty seconds after I get my nice hot coffee, Adam announces that he has to poop. So I tell him to hang on, and we start getting ourselves ready to exit our row and scoot past the cart. As I'm telling him to wait, hang on just a second, please sit still he knocks my coffee into his own lap and begins screaming. The flight attendants and everyone around us was very nice in giving us napkins and getting us to the bathroom, where he pooped, and then changed into the jammies that I had brilliantly packed in our carry on. All is well. Kids watch videos, I take a nap, Tim reads a book. Then as we are getting ready to land, Adam is playing Minecraft on the tablet and announces in between handfuls of Cheerios that he has to throw up. I was sort of mystified by this because he is not someone who gets motion sick (in the past) but lo, it was a-coming and I didn't get the barf bag under his face quickly enough, so he barfed on his clean pajamas. UGH.

The good news is that he calmed quickly, and was not too disgusting - we waited until I was in line to get our rental car to have Tim go and change him. And the nice thing about all being grown ups now is that Kari has a very nice washer and dryer for all of our barf and coffee clothes.

I would say the rest of the trip to La Crosse was uneventful but I did get REAL salty and rude to my poor mother and husband when we didn't stop at any of the first three Culvers we drove by. I was real hangry. Ellie now does a good impression of me demanding Culvers, so that's great. Oh, and as we were pulling into the Culver's parking lot Adam got car sick/motion sick yet again, but this time fully into a bag, and he then put down a cheeseburger, applesauce, some fries and a dish of chocolate ice cream with caramel sauce, and held it down for the rest of the drive. I truly think the 5am wake up call is a part of throwing him off his game - the early wake up may have been part of him also getting altitude sick in Montana, I think.

Our weekend was so nice. It was awesome to stay with Kari and Bennett and Leah, and just get to hang out as adults, while also enjoying what a true delight Leah is becoming. She's so cute and funny and fun. I also love how much my kids loved her, especially Adam. Sunday morning I woke up and he was out reading a book to her - I was amazed at how great his reading skills were!

Also, please enjoy Tick Tock Croc, who is actually Bennett's childhood toy. Adam latched onto it when we visited a couple of years ago and Bennett let him take him home. Adam used to carry the croc with him in the stroller, etc, but has lost interest over the past year or so. Good news: Leah LOVES him, so that delighted me.

Saturday night we went out for a nice dinner all together, which was so fun. It was wonderful to have a nice meal with our nice family, and thankfully in a private room where the littles could get up and down and out of their seats and go play instead of having to sit very quietly. Also, I got to spend almost the whole meal snuggling month old baby Sophia, who is a sweet little love. I was for sure the biggest baby hog, with Adam and Ellie running as close seconds. Adam especially was very sweet with her - with all the little girls, truly. Ellie was thrilled to be with her big cousin Hailee, including a surprise sleepover at Grandma Betty's house.


Rose Marie, Elizabeth Rosemarie, and Sophia Rose.

Sunday we got the Sunshine Room at Hillview, and Grandma had ordered two fancy cakes for her own party (she can also cry if she wants to.) We'd also had a nice brunch together in the morning, and the kids helped Uncle John mow the lawn on Saturday and ride bikes - so it was a ton of relaxed, casual family time.




I think it was strategic of Grams to get small, fancy cakes, because we just didn't have the space to put 90 candles on it like we might have with a Costco sheet cake.

She also let everyone jam their fingers in

It was so nice. We all got to visit and hang out and make each other laugh. I especially enjoyed when Leah told Grandma that she was going to take her card back for HER fridge, or when Clara was doling out animal crackers and told Leah she couldn't have any more, because she hadn't had lunch yet (they had already eaten pizza for dinner.)


Our travel home yesterday was mostly uneventful. Definitely sad to go, but happy that we'll see everyone in about a month. Until next time, Wisconsin!


No comments:

Post a Comment