Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Girls Weekend!

A couple of months ago, I started thinking of how long it had been since we saw Becca, and how Hazel was turning one, and wouldn't it be fun if I could figure out a way to go to see Becca and Hazel and bring Ellie with me for a girls weekend? And lo, I remembered that I have many frequent flier miles, and one free weekend in May, so I cashed in some points and waited until a week before we left to inform Ellie that she was finally going to get to go to Chicago with me (because usually I go to try to be a helper after Becca and Brian welcome a baby, or I go to escape my own family and have bestie time.)

It was SO FUN. First of all, we packed it with lots of good activities, including going to the wndr museum, and to see West Side Story at the beautiful Chicago Opera House, and second of all, it was so fun to just be out and about with my very best girl. She's such a gem, and it's nice to have time with her, just she and I, out of our routine, without the nagging cares of every day, or the infighting with her and Adam. Plus to see her with three year old Benjy and almost one year old Hazel made me really appreciate what a big, grown up girl she is. She was such a big help with the kids (she LOVES being big enough to pick up Hazel and carry her around) and just the logistics of traveling with an eight year old is so much easier - she can drag the suitcase. She can sit and watch the bags if I use the restroom. She can figure out her own movies and entertainment. I mean, in a few months she'll be the same age I was when my parents put me on a plane from Boston to Chicago all by myself!

It was also such a fun treat to hang out with our friends, doing a lot of good eating, staying up late and goofing off and just having bestie time. When I'm with Becca, almost every night I laugh so hard that I cry off most of my eyeliner before bed. I can't believe we now have four kids between the two of us, and as I joked to her, can we even believe that the baby who once laid face down on the carpet and cried is now big enough to go to see West Side Story like a real grown up girl?




From the wndr museum:





No comments:

Post a Comment