Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Snoozers.

Ellie continues to take good naps in her big girl bed for me, and I am incredibly happy with the development. You know who is the happiest though? The cats. They mob me the second I sit down on the couch.

I have discovered several keys to getting a good nap out of her. The first is, if she doesn't put her head on my shoulder the second we go into her room, she's not tired enough, and I'm better off going and reading a few books or playing with puzzles for a half hour. The second is, the tighter I spoon her, the faster she goes to sleep. It seems contradictory, because I don't want to be too entangled when trying to slip away, but she gets into a deeper sleep when I'm all cuddled around her, and then it's actually simpler to remove myself. Thirdly, having her nap on her own is awesome.

But that doesn't mean that I haven't been tempted to just lay there and take a snooze with her. We've all been under the weather the past few days, and Tim especially has been Mr. Cosleeper. Last night he fell asleep with her while doing bedtime. It's a funny thing - when a half hour's passed while he's trying to put her down, I think to myself "wow, she must really be giving him the business." When an hour has passed, I wonder if I should go in and check on them, but I'd hate to disturb her if she's on the verge of drifting off. When 90 minutes go by, I know that Tim is almost certainly out like a light. Last night was one of those nights. In fact, when I went in at 11 to tell him to come to bed, he was flat on his back with the covers up around his chin and Ellie snuggled against his shoulder, each of them trying to out-snore each other. I tapped him on his hands and got zero response, so I figured I'd let my sleeping babies lie. A half hour later, he stumbled into our room and came to bed like a normal person. I understand though - Ellie is so sweet and so snuggly, and her bed is warm and has nice sheets on it. It's easy for him to start thinking about math problems and pass out.

Even mom fell prey to Ellie's siren song last week, taking a quick nap with her little darling. That means that this family is officially a big bunch of dirty hippies.

No comments:

Post a Comment