Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Pitts.

Hello from Pittsburgh! Tim is off with all of the boys, helping Rocco survive his last few minutes as a single man, and I am reveling in my alone time.

We are having a GREAT TRIP so far. Our flights yesterday were perfect: on time, layover long enough to go to the bathroom and get a sandwich but not much else, and we walked right out to our rental car and drove into the city, where we met up with everyone at a bar. I'd almost forgotten what winter was like - we haven't seen snow since the last time we were in Wisconsin for Thanksgiving (2007 I think?)

It's so good to see everyone - I only wish Cory's wife Natalie had made the trip, but I understand not wanting to do 28 hours of traveling with a 14 month old in tow, while also being 20 weeks pregnant. It leaves me on my own as the only lady, since I don't really know the bride, but I love me some quiet time - I teased Jake and Tim on the plane that they weren't to talk to me. And then I put on my noise canceling headphones and ignored them, no joke.

Those two crack me up/kill me. I handled all of the travel details, booked everything, and then basically have to hold their hands through the airport. Asked them to look up directions to the hotel, neither of them have the address (though I know they both do in an email.) Asked them to text their friends to say we were coming, they couldn't find the phone numbers. Rocco assured me that the food at the wedding will be plentiful, so maybe I can find Tim and Jake something soft, and therefore avoid having to cut their meat. The other boys make fun of Jake for not booking his own travel, but I think they're jealous that he just has to show up and cut me a check at the end.

We're staying right next to campus, and will be able to walk to the wedding and reception. I had to go to Rite Aid today to get myself some tights - I'm excited about being able to walk/no one has to be the designated driver, but less than excited about a couple of blocks walk with completely bare legs.

Anyhow, it's been a nice day today. We slept in until 10:30, then I walked a couple miles off campus to the Squirrel Hill neighborhood, where I had an hour massage. It was HEAVEN. Except for the part where she had to dig out a couple of enormous knots. Yikes. Then I went and had what was billed as "Pittsburgh's best French Toast" and wandered home through a big park. Tonight, I will drink and dance with my handsome husband (and his slightly less handsome brother, my second husband.)

My baby apparently could care less that I'm gone - when I tried to kiss her goodbye, she started crying because she wanted Grams to hold her. Grams reports that the night went well, though they've had to drive her around to get her to take a nap (fine with me!) That turd... she is the worst at falling asleep. But everyone seems to be surviving. I was thinking how fun it was to be away from her for awhile, and then in Rite Aid they played Carrie Underwood's "All American Girl," which is about parents welcoming beautiful wonderful perfect all American girls, and I burst into tears. Such is parenthood.

Pittsburgh's best French Toast. It was pretty damn good.

Pittsburgh in January - pretty beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment