Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas!

True Story: I knew we had to buy our house when we were standing in the foyer, looking into what is now the pretty room, and Tim said "and we can put the Christmas tree in here." I promptly burst into tears. Funnily enough, the first two years we celebrated Christmas here, we kept the tree in the living room, because I wanted to look at it all the time. This year it finally made it out to the pretty room, partially because we have less space in the living room with the new furniture, and partially because I was hoping putting it in a different room would discourage Ellie from destroying it.

She seems mostly disinterested, which is okay with me.

I didn't realize until I was an adult that some people have "theme" trees at Christmas. Like, their ornaments all match or work together. And I always thought colored lights were awesome, but apparently in some circles, they are tacky. BEHOLD, our tacky, yet themed tree! The theme is, nice ornaments and glass balls up top, and handmade, soft ornaments on the bottom. Grandma Rosie's quilted ornaments are heavily featured on the lowest branches. It's a pretty sweet tree.

And going with my non-theming, the mantle still has all of the usual weird stuff, with bonus stockings and nativity scene. As you do.

Yesterday we had a bunch of friends over to watch the UCLA/USC game. Most of us were Bruins, with two Trojans (hissss!) and a couple of Ohio State fans. Thankfully, we all knew the outcome going in and everyone was able to keep the peace. What a blood bath. I was thankful that I spent forty five minutes feeding Ellie in the other room and could avoid some head shaking embarrassment. How many times do you need to get stuffed in the red zone before you kick a field goal just to get some damn points on the board?

On the upside, they don't make Trojans this cute. And check it out - we officially have enough hair to get a quality boinger going.


1 comment:

  1. My Christmas tree is PINK has PINK colored lights and someday I hope to get a motor so that it turns around slowly. I think I beat you in the tacky Christmas department. This year Chris asked if we could get a real tree...

    ReplyDelete