Sunday, March 21, 2010

Par-Tay!

We had a busy weekend! And it very much made me feel like I was getting ready for mommyhood because we had not one, but two parties for people who are not even potty trained yet. I guess I do have a few "mommy friends" already.

Saturday Tim and I had tickets to see Dreamgirls at the Ahmanson theater in downtown LA. We got sandwiches from Bottega Louie, my favorite restaurant, and ate out in the courtyard before the matinee. It was a really great show - really strong vocal performances, and sequin dresses. What more could you want in a musical?

Afterwards, we went out to West LA to my friend Lisa's house, for her daughter Graysen's third birthday party. Graysen is possibly the world's cutest kid, and she has the coolest parents. Their invite said something along the lines of "we're having a cocktail party, because this is the last year we can get away with doing what we want for our daughter's party." There were definitely plenty of little kids hanging out, and family friendly activities, but our fabulous hosts definitely kept the drinks flowing and the grown up snacks provided (don't worry, I stuck to blood orange sodas.) The best was at the end of the night when Graysen was acting up and Lisa goes, "hey! That's now how ladies behave! You're three now, you have responsibilities." I dream of being that cool when I'm a parent.

Then Tim and I went to our favorite sushi place from days of yore, and I cried about the fact that I live so far away now. And then I fell asleep on the car ride home!

This morning I went over to mom and dad's early, uninvited, but with a quice from Lisa and Steve to share. Then mom came over and we planted stuff in the front yard! Oh, and I finally met our next door neighbors. Man, Californians are friendly. I mean, we've only lived here since OCTOBER (and I did try to bring him cookies during the holiday season.)

Then, it was off to Huntington Beach for my friend Connie's son's birthday. Orion was also turning 3, but he had a bounce house at his party (which was approved for adult use.) Also, lots of BBQed meats. What more could you want? And Connie let me snuggle with her daughter Calla. If I wasn't already pregnant, I think my ovaries would have exploded. Also, Connie gave me a jumparoo that Calla has outgrown. I was trying to describe it to Dad - we were getting it confused with the jumpers that used to hook to a door frame. This is more like a walker thingie, with bells and whistles. Or, as I described it "like that thing John was always in back when I used to like him. Back when he was fat." Just kidding, I still like John now. SOMETIMES. It's only a matter of time until I see if the cats like the jumparoo.

Of course, we went over and mooched Sunday dinner off of mom and dad, but had to come home to put our wet sheets in the dryer. Because, like a hobo, I only own one set of sheets. But they're fancy and soft - what more could you want?

No new baby news for this week, other than that the baby is the size of a kumquat. My only ultrasound this week will be on my thyroid, but it's exciting to be only two weeks away from Trimester 2 (and telling the rest of the world. Yes, there are still people in my life who have no idea about the Wolfman.)

No comments:

Post a Comment