Monday, August 10, 2009

Little This, Little That.

We had a lot of unexpected fun this weekend. On Saturday I got up and went to kickboxing, and then made a pilgrimage out to Glendale to visit a vintage store. When we'd gone to see the King and I, the woman who did the intro before the show talked about this fabulous store in Glendale, where she'd gotten her outfit for the evening. She also mentioned that the store had a penny rack out front. I figured, since I have a car and some gas and a penny or two, I should definitely go check it out. Oh, how I love pre-owned items. Garmon tried to get me lost, but I arrived safe and sound and was not disappointed. The store is called Patsey's Closet, and it's on a little main drag in Montrose. Very cute.

I didn't buy much, but I did a TON of browsing. There were a lot of fun rhinestone necklaces, and a whole case full of hankies and gloves and other ladylike things. A pair of pink mules that were covered in fur on top - and not like sexy little marabou mules, but like "oh, I just stuffed my foot in a rabbit's behind and then stuck a pink heel on the back." They were a little outrageous. I also tried on a few goofy hats and LOTS of coats. Seriously - I was made for cold weather climates. If you saw me in a vintage store, you'd notice me bleating like a lamb each time I put on a beautiful jacket, and then crying like a lamb being weaned as I was forced to return it back to its hanger. I already have... let me see... four winter coats that I can only wear once a year in California (twice a year if we go to Wisco for Thanksgiving.) I can't really buy more, much as I love them. The other thing I tried on and then regretfully returned was a 60s era coral-colored dress. It had an empire waist and then a beaded bodice with a high collar. The sleeves were sheer and then had beaded cuffs (subpar dressing room photo below.) Even though it was only $25, I don't really have any place to wear it (and again, I have several wild dresses in my closet that I can't wear out of the house. At least I know that I can wear my Old Yeller dress when Judy gets married - she's already pre-approved it as a bridesmaids dress.) I did end up getting a little brooch, and a hand-beaded and embroidered pink sweater, much like the friend I bought in Door County. Apparently I am amassing a vintage sweater collection now as well (those I am able to wear all of the time though, so it's a sound investment.)

thrift store hat!

Awesome dress. I feel like I sort of look like a dude in it, but it was a fabu outfit.

Saturday night Tim and I grabbed sushi and frogurt (dinner of champions) and then headed up to the Getty to see the Dodos. Well, we tried anyways. We hit the line for the Getty Center Drive exit at 5:45, and were still had not reached the offramp by 6:30. And there was a loooooooong line of cars on the street towards the parking lot. I don't know what was up - if the Dodos were that popular, or if there was some other local event going on, but at 6:30 we gave up and just headed home. I figured by the time we got into the Getty, and parked, and rode the tram up to the museum, it'd be 8:30 and the show only ran until 9. Plus it was the Dodos and another DJ, so we could have easily arrived just in time for the DJs last set and missed out on what we'd come for. Disappointing! Instead we went home and Tim played video games and I read two books, because I am so smart.

Sunday morning when Tim got out of bed, I convinced him to go run and get milk and eggs, with the promise of pancakes if he delivered. So I made pancakes (from scratch) with peaches on top, and we lazed around for a bit. We headed out to Chino around noon and took his younger cousins Trevor and Joey out to see GI Joe. The boys are a little young to remember the cartoons, but they seemed to enjoy it. After we dropped them off, we made the decision to swing by home to say hi to mom and dad and Sara and Lisa and Kate, who are in town. It was really nice - we had dinner and then just goofed off until far too late.

This morning I had a staff meeting. Our HR director wanted to do a little piece about people turning down their music and putting their cell phones on vibrate (it's a cube farm here and EVERYTHING carries, so with a bunch of people rocking out to their music, and cell phones going off, it can be incredibly distracting.) But instead of just lecturing, she set it up so that she would call me during the middle of her HR update portion - I put a specially obnoxious ring tone on my phone and then when she called, actually answered it. It was pretty funny to see the looks on everyone's faces.

This week is busy! I have some dinner dates and am turning the ripe old age of 28. I am holding out to get a kitten as a present, but I fear it will not come to pass. I will just have to squeeze the ones I've got. They are pretty okay.

Me and Charles. I know he looks pissed, but he's purring.

No comments:

Post a Comment