Sunday, July 26, 2009

Shall We Dance?

It's Sunday, that means it's time for a blog update!

It's been a pretty quiet weekend. Friday night Tim agreed to go to the laundromat with all of our laundry if I agreed to clean the apartment. It worked out in everyone's best interests. I hate doing laundry, and he hates cleaning. I still think I got the better deal, because I got to watch 16 and Pregnant while cleaning. I learned that apparently, having a baby before you can drive is tough.

Yesterday I went to kickboxing for the first time since vacation. Today my biceps feel like hard little knots, but thankfully, I can still walk. There have been a couple of times where I've taken a break from kickboxing, and then the day after I go, the whole backside of my body feels like I got smashed with a board.

In the afternoon, Tim and I, our Marine friend Cory and Natalie, the Scottish War Bride, went to see the King and I at the historic Alex Theater in Glendale. Now, our choice to go to this movie was slightly fraught, because Dad had tickets to the Twins/Angels game. The game started at 1:10, the movie started at 2, so obviously, I could not do both. And much to Dad's chagrin, I chose the movie (mom and Sara went with him - Cory and Natalie ended up taking their tickets. We have some scheduling difficulties, obviously.) After I'd emailed my dad to say that I was going to the movie he basically disowned me, and for a week, all of my emails were (jokingly) met with "who are you? Quit bothering me." I felt bad about not going to the game, but let's be honest. The last game I went to it was 90 degrees and we were out in the sun the whole time. I though I was going to melt. AND the Twins lost. They regularly lose to the Angels when we're there, which is sucky and disappointing. Not to mention, they have been playing like a bunch of drunk 4th graders recently. Maybe this makes me a fairweather fan, but I just didn't have the energy to drive the hour down to Anaheim to potentially watch my team get SHELLACKED.

Before the movie, Sara texted me that we were up 2-0, so for a moment I was like, "man, maybe I made the wrong choice." But three hours later, when we exited the theater, I had the following messages:

"Twins suck ass right now."
"I even started to cry they were losing really bad they are losing 9 to 2."
"I wish I went ot the king and I instead."

I must admit, I felt bad for poor Sara, but I did get a good laugh. Mostly because we all know if I was there, I would have been crying too, much like I did as a nine year old when the Twins would lose.

The movie was, of course, amazing. Overall, I still prefer The Sound of Music, in terms of the songs and the plot, but no movie beats the King and I in terms of visual spectacle - the sets, the costumes, the whole play within a play portion. And Yul is absolutely amazing. I love it so. I told Tim, if there was any piece of Hollywood memorabillia I'd like to see with my own two eyes, it's Deborah Kerr's dress from Shall We Dance.

I cried at the end, of course, and also laughed a little about the fact that I saw the movie probably twice a month from the ages of 8-13 and thought I had it all figured out, and then I saw it again in high school and suddenly, realized that the King dies of a broken heart because THEY ARE IN LOVE! It becomes a whole new movie then, and makes Shall We Dance even more awesome, because as an adult, I notice the foxy chemstiry that I missed before (Rodgers and Hammerstein are so good at the chaste yet passionate dance scenes - Shall We Dance and the part where the Captain and Maria dance before the fancy party always get me.)

We went with Cory and Natalie to an Irish pub downtown, and then over to my favorite place in the whole world, Bottega Louie, for a coffee and a little dessert. Oh, I was so stuffed and happy.

Nothing much on the agenda today. We are going to see (500) Days of Summer, and I need to run to the grocery store to get lunch and dinner fixes. I am trying to get back in the swing of cooking more. I am SO excited for Julie & Julia to come out. Tim is more excited about seeing G.I. Joe. We've already made a date with Cory and Natalie in Carlsbad that weekend - the boys will go see the movie, and Natalie and I will peruse the goods at the Coach outlet. EVERYBODY WINS!

No comments:

Post a Comment