Monday, July 13, 2009

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Oh, the return to work today. Less than awesome. It's been such a surreal and fabulous ten days. For instance, the last night we spent in LA wasn't frittered away packing or anything boring like that - on Wednesday night we went to see our final Last Remaining Seats show at the Orpheum. It was a 1930's silent film that had been painstakingly restored over the past few years. One of the major funders was Playboy founder and major cinophile Hugh Hefner. And yes, we did catch a glimpse of Hef. And then last night I got to go see one of my favorite singers at the Hollywood Bowl, playing his songs with the Hollywood Bowl orchestra as his backup band. Doesn't get much better than that. Or at least, it's having access to such cultural events that keeps me from completing disliking the smelly, traffic filled, expensive city of Los Angeles.

Here are my favorite pictures from the trip!

From our drive up to Ellison Bay. I like to call this picture "Hello, Beautiful!"

The dock in Gills Rock, site of many happy childhood memories. Like... John dragging a big dead fish into the cleaning area, Kate falling off the dock and into the water, all four of us squishing our face up against the table as Gary cleaned salmon caught on charter fishing trips. Nothing better than being 9 years old and getting a guy to open up a fish's stomach so you can see if there were tiny, half-digested fish inside.

Same as it ever was!

My favorite place in Door County. Hooray Wisconsin, indeed.

I call this picture "Mustache Alley." Tim, Dad, Grandpa C. and Uncle John.

Mom, Hailee and the twins, Phyllis and Suzie. I can remember when Phyllis and Suzie were Kate's #1 (and #2) babies.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner of champions!

The boil master and the boil masters wife. She made him that beautiful necklace.

THE BOIL OVER!

Your very own Two Bruins. Along with Tim's mustache, Foxy, Loxie, Doxie and a feather.




Parting shot of all of the kids in Door County.

Grandpa Charlie (aka Boil Master Emeritus) and all of the kids.

Me at Nelsons. Oh cheese curds, I love you. And there's bonus grandma skulking in the background.

Grandma and her girls chowing down.

Grandma and the kids.

The Miller girls reunited in Chicago before we had to go home. And all of our charm bracelets. The gold bangle I'm weaing says Etta, which is great-great-grandma Stevens name. But it's not an heirloom - I bought it at an antique story in La Crosse. I am going to pretend that it's a hand me down though.

No comments:

Post a Comment