Sunday, July 19, 2009

Viva La Coldplay!

Oh, what a weekend! Friday night was Jakey's 31st birthday party. Tim played a lot of Rock Band, I talked with a lot of people and unlike last year, I didn't fall asleep in Jake's recliner (despite the Rock Band noise. When I'm tired, I sleep!)

Saturday night we had tickets to see Coldplay at the Home Depot Center. This past spring we were watching them in a Grammy's pre-show, and I thought myself, "man, I really love Coldplay, and I loved their last album. They are said to put on a great show, so next time they are in LA, I will try to go see them." I left a message for my friend Jesus, who has seen Coldplay a couple of times, telling him that when the tickets came available, if he needed a date, I was in. WELL, Jesus called e shortly thereafter with the news that they were playing at his very workplace, so he'd be happy to get Tim and I tickets. We got floor seats for only $100 a ticket. Plus free parking. Jesus saves, indeed!

Being on the floor was AMAZING. First of all, you get to walk through all of the barriers and get a fancy wristband. You know me and jewelry... even disposible yellow plastic. We managed to stand about 50 feet back from the stage, slightly to the right. At one point during the show, the band was on this little protrusion to the right, and so we were only about ten feet away from them. The energy was great, and it was so fun just to dance around a little.

And man, does Coldplay rock. The set list was great, the singing was awesome, and we had a fabulous time. Even though me being little, I couldn't necessarily see the entire stage the entire time. Tim did pick me up a few times, and I managed to see around everyone's heads when possible.

Downsides: our area of the grass was apparently also the middle aged makeout region. We got to watch a guy in white jeans samba against his wife's hiney, and then the drunk guy in the Hawaiian print shirt who spent his time either taking pictures, texting, or talking. Or all three at the same time! He would break that schedule for a vigorous schedule of sucking his wife's face. Get a room, kids!

I am also always amazed by how much time people waste taking photos during concerts. Admittedly, I took a couple, but there were folks around us who had their cameras/iPhones blazing the whole time. If you're going to just watch the show through your viewfinder, maybe you should be at home. Also, drunk man next to me, stop dancing and almost elbowing me in my face! There are a lot of perils to being short as a concert. I think next time we go, I am going to get some platform flip flops. And perhaps a tazer.

SO: Here are the pictures!

Pre-show shot. See the guy with the backwards cap? Yeah, I spent a lot of time looking around his noggin.

When the band came over to the stage on the right side. This photo is NOT zoomed in. It was amazing how close they were!

Close up of Chris Martin singing "the Hardest Part." The next song up was "Viva La Vida," which is a recent favorite of mine. Throughout the show, when we were waiting for the band (like before their encore) or during the occasional quiet moment, the crowd would start singing the "oh oh oh oh ohhhhhhh" part of Viva La Vida. SO COOL.

They shot paper butterflies out of cannons. Those are Tim's hands.

The butterflies looked amazing uner blacklights. It was so fun!


Sideburns and I before we left the field. What you can't see (sadly) is my new feather headband. It's trapped in Tim's other sideburn.

I spent today with a friend from college, and then saw "(500) Days of Summer" with Judy (high recommend.) We also went and visited the Yogurtland that recently opened in the shopping center across the street. It's official - Yogurtland is delicious and we have given up the house hunt. Unless they are willing to put a Yogurtland across the street from a single family home on a quiet, safe residential street. I have priorities!

No comments:

Post a Comment