Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Adventures in Big Sky.

2019 is shaping up to be a year of wonderful adventures. Kristen turned 40 last month, and has always wanted to go skiing in Big Sky, Montana, so she and Jeff organized a trip for a half dozen friends and their families. We took off on Wednesday morning (early morning) and landed in Bozeman, Montana later in the day. Between the six families (originally five, but Sara Jo and Whitney got a steal of a flight out of Long Beach and surprised us on Thursday - there was much screaming on my part) there were 11 adults and 10 kids, so quite the group of rowdy friends.

We had a blast! I was initially hesitant going in, and stressed out. It's just a lot of work - there's no way around it. There's no way to go without checking bags, there's a lot of money involved in renting skies and buying lift tickets and ski lessons and it's just a lot to manage. The parents all joked that there were moments where we wanted to yell at our kids "WE ARE HAVING SO MUCH FUN RIGHT NOW. WE ARE MAKING MEMORIES. THIS TRIP IS EXPENSIVE AND YOU WILL HAVE FUN!" Thankfully though, we truly DID have fun, so much fun. The kids loved it - they were in lessons all day (well, half day lesson, half day daycare for Adam) and then got to hang out with their friends all night, including sharing bunk rooms in matching jammies, and they got to spend plenty of time playing in the snow. We rented two enormous cabins and had access to their village lodge, which had a pool, hot tub, game room and a little bar with free beer and wine and cheese and snacks (and hot chocolates. So many hot chocolates.) The first night we were there, three of the moms went to the store and filled four grocery carts. One of our friends is a wonderful chef and made enormous family dinners so that we didn't have to worry about eating.

The mountain was gorgeous, truly. I had some of the prettiest, most scenic rides of my entire life. Despite only skiing one day between freshman year of college and now, I felt like I got my legs back under me and was grateful that I got to ski the day with some of the better skiers (we had a varsity and a JV squad. Tim was JV team captain.) We all met up for lunch every day and apres drinks. Ellie skied from 9:15-4pm every day, and she did amazing - was doing green runs all over the hill by the end of it! She and I took the final runs together every day, and I was so impressed with how she'd improved, and how much she loved it. Adam stayed mostly on the bunny slope, but he also had a great time - I'm glad we pulled the cord and put him in the lunch and afternoon day care program. He wouldn't have probably managed to ski all day, and neither Tim nor I wanted to leave the slopes early. Poor dude - he actually threw up from exhaustion/altitude sickness before bed on Wednesday night, and at 4am on Friday morning.

One of the funniest/most horrible moments was when we were renting our gear and the guy checking the bindings on my skies goes "your boots are really old - they're almost too old to work with these bindings" and I said "they're from 1997. They're still good," and another kid goes "I was born in 1997." NO ONE ASKED YOU, WHIPPERSNAPPER. I was also wearing my old high school snow gear, though I had to chuck my snowpants on the last day after they ripped when I fell. And Lexi asked me if I was wearing my mom's jacket. Nope, I've owned this since 8th grade. Just turned out, never truly grew into it.

















No comments:

Post a Comment