Wednesday, January 24, 2018

New Wheels

It finally happened, we got a new family car. I am a little distressed because by trading in my sub-compact Honda Fit, I can no longer be a smug a-hole when I parallel park in a tiny parking spot outside Ellie's school, like the cool city girl I once was. Don't worry, I can still be a smug a-hole based on the fact that Tim and I remain one of the few families we know with a two car garage and two actual cars parked in said garage, rather than having a garage filled with boxes and furniture.

We've been thinking about upgrading for probably over a year now, and after putting new tires on the Fit last summer and replacing the ignition coils shortly thereafter, I decided that I was done putting money into the car. It's been a great vehicle, and hauls SO much stuff despite the small size. I loved how zippy it was, and while the color was never my choice, everyone always knew it was me in my electric blue boogaloo. But, it's our family car, and turns out the rest of my family does not have abnormally short legs. It was getting uncomfortable for Ellie to be in the car behind Tim, and it's not the best car for long car trips with all of us. Not to mention it's ten years old, and so saying I didn't want to put any more money into it was like asking for a potential problem.

So! We got a Toyota Rav4. It's the first non-Honda I've ever owned, but I think I'll survive. We got the hybrid version, black exterior with a gray leather interior. My hill to die on was a light interior, because I wear dresses and don't want to burn the backs of my thighs, or roast my children in the back seat, but I also really wanted a non-white or gray exterior (sorry Tim!) So, the dealership was able to find me what I needed, and they actually offered me more than blue book for my trade in, which left me pretty much stunned. I think it's because I told them I'd throw in all of the cheerios and breath mints strewn throughout the car for free. Between that, and bringing my car up there filthy and almost out of gas, I feel like I got away with a crime!

And then I got to drive home in a clean car listening to my own music - that'll never happen again! Because let's be real, I'm not going to say that the kids can't eat in the car or that we all have to wipe our feet before we get in. The kids love it, Tim's very happy with it as well (because he does all of the driving when he's in the car) and while it's bigger than what I would have bought if it was just me, it's obviously not just me. But my dream car is a Mini-Cooper, and I've often told Tim, once the kids are out of the house and my life is more my own, I'm getting one. He actually said "oh, can you get the bigger one so I can ride in it?" and I told him no, I cannot. Did you hear me when I said when my life is more my own, I'm getting the small Mini, possibly convertible? I said what I said! The good news is, based on our previous track record of car ownership, and the fact that Ellie is already 7, by the time I'm ready for a new car, I can give her the Rav4 and get a Mini!

The downside is, I haven't done much driving this week. Yesterday morning Adam woke up complaining that his neck hurt, and then barfed. He managed to eat and keep everything down over the course of the day, but was running a pretty good fever other than the first hour after getting medicine, so we spent most of the day on the couch. Today the fever is gone, but he did get up at 4:30 to throw up, poor guy. It's terrible to see, but I'm glad he can at least hit the toilet. And we've had a chance to use our own wheels, talking a good walk down the trail both times, before I give my stroller to a friend of mine who is expecting her first baby this summer. The fresh air definitely does both of us good.

No comments:

Post a Comment