Friday, October 6, 2017

Firsts for Small Fry.

This school year really feels like we're in a new phase of parenting. Ellie's in school full time, Adam's happily off to preschool three days a week, and I'm realizing that they're really not little kids anymore. I mean, they're still little and adorable and wonderful, but they're school-aged, they're not babies.

One big thing is, we're officially done with diapers! Almost seven years after we started with all of this nonsense, Adam is now sleeping in his underwear and easily staying dry all night. Up next, we'll have him start sleeping in the queen bed in his room, instead of his crib mattress on the floor, with three sides of the crib still up. He's almost too long for the mattress, so it's just a matter of convincing him that his new big bed will be so awesome (I am willing to bet he'll cry about it at first.)

I tried taking him to his first dentist visit yesterday, and he wanted no part of it. He liked looking at all of the tools and liked watching Ellie get her exam and cleaning, but all he'd let the dentist do was count his teeth, and only while sitting in my lap, reclined onto my chest. The dentist said that from her brief exam there wasn't anything to be concerned about, and that his gray front tooth is fine, and will fall out when it falls out (he smashed his mouth pretty badly on the first night of our trip to Wisconsin, and it's gradually grayed out over time. It's noticeable but not hideous.) Meanwhile, Ellie watched part of Beauty and the Beast, got a good cleaning and a couple of xrays and was pronounced an A+ patient with no cavities. I always breathe a sigh of relief when that happens - the cavities make me feel like a crap parent, even though I brush everyone's teeth the best I can.

His teacher deeply enjoys his commitment to bringing enormous vehicle toys to school for share days on Friday. The other week he brought his crane, today his bulldozer. It took me awhile to get him say it, but he kept calling his bulldozer "Sweetie" while he was carrying it into his classroom. Please to enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment