Tuesday, August 22, 2017

You've Kept Me From the Room Where it Happens..

...FOR THE LAST TIME




Blog hiatus caused by some fantastic vacationing for Tim and myself. The day after the election last year, when I was looking to drown my feelings in ice cream or conspicuous consumption, Becca called me and said "did you see that the Hamilton facebook page announced that they have a new block of seats on sale? We could go in August, between our birthdays." I said "maybe this is the retail therapy we need to make ourselves feel better" and in sync, we both made a sad trombone noise for the nation. But still spent the money on the tickets! And lo, North Korea hasn't bombed us into oblivion quite yet, so we were able to visit the greatest city in the world (in the greatest city in the world!) and see Hamilton, which I have been obsessed with since seeing them on the Tonys at the beginning of 2016. And it was even better than I could have ever hoped. All of the songs seemed new, seeing them acted, seeing them sung live and accompanied by such great dancing and staging and lighting. I was teary through almost the entire thing, just loving the songs, or in amazement that I was really there, or straight up weeping as Alexander Hamilton sings about the death of his son. I'm so glad we were able to go.

It was also Tim's first trip to NYC, so we did our best to cram as much stuff in as possible. We went to the Top of the Rock, visited Central Park, wandered around the West Village and SoHo (where we were lucky to stay in a friend's corporate crash pad for free!) and visited the Whitney Museum of American Art and the Natural History Museum. We also went out for a really lovely birthday dinner at Gramercy Tavern and saw Jimmy Fallon eating only two tables away.

Then I came home by myself, and Tim took a red eye to Germany to work at GamesCon, Europe's biggest video games conference. Red eye, in coach, and when he arrived his suitcase hadn't made it (via a direct flight.) So he spent 33 hours straight awake, and had to also go buy new undies and toiletries, poor guy. He seems to be having a great time though - we were able to video chat with him tonight at 12:30am, and he was awake and having a fun time in the hotel lobby with friends and coworkers. Wearing a shirt he borrowed from someone else, and needing to go back up to his room and wash his socks.

Meanwhile, even after all of their help throughout the summer, Mimi and Gigi continue to keep an eye on me and the kids, because we all know that Tim is the better, more patient parent, and I'm likely to eat my own young, especially on the last week of the summer, and when Ellie's ceramics camp got canceled. Good news, I did not murder Adam even after he spent nap time on Monday pulling paint and drywall off of a corner of his bedroom wall. (In truth, the paint in his room is already slightly damaged from having the baseboards and doors redone during our remodel - if it had been basically any other room in the house, I would have chopped his hands off like some Old Testament punishment...) But we're getting along okay! Yesterday we hung out with the neighbors and then went and had a dinner picnic at the park, and today we had swim lessons and taco Tuesday with Gigi, after the kids spent the morning playing at the park and going out for lunch with Mimi. Tomorrow we start our new music class and tonight I put the kids school calendars into my google calendar, because if I don't have something on my schedule, there is no way I can remember it (today I also finally found out what day Adam starts school, and what Ellie's school hours are. See? I'm getting it all figured out, and SO EARLY.)


No comments:

Post a Comment