Sunday, March 3, 2019

Cutting Down and Cutting Around.

Things have been pretty quiet and routine around here. Tim and I spent Valentine's weekend up in the Bay Area celebrating a friend's 40th birthday in the most shagadelic, weirdo airbnb ever, while the kids got spoiled by Mimi and Poppy.

The tree company came out and chipped up the remains of our big pine, but the stump and enormous hole in the yard remain.

Now I can be the hobbit troll I've always dreamed of being! The missing tree still bums me out every time I drive around the corner of our house.

The past week has been sort of rough. Adam has been pushing every boundary and testing every limit, and I find myself having to take lots of deep breaths to get through the day, and being really thankful when he goes to sleep at night and I don't have to deal with any more of his nonsense. This past Friday felt particularly rough and trying. We were over at Gigi and Grizz's for our regular Friday night pizza party. The kids had already been bathed, Adam had played some games on Grizz's tablet and snuggled with Gigi to read a book, and then while we were spending two minutes out of his line of sight plating up dinner, Ellie came running in and yelled "ADAM IS CUTTING HIS HAIR." And lo, during his small break he had taken it upon himself to administer an ill advised bang trim.

It was so next level naughtiness, especially because a week or two ago he admitted to cutting his jeans with scissors and was reminded that scissors are only for paper! It also cut the tension, as it was. The whole thing was so ridiculous and he looked so ridiculous that I couldn't even be mad about it, just laughed at how dumb he looked.

And he already was in need of a hair cut, so it wasn't a huge deal. Except, usually he gets a little boy hair cut, and this time he had to get a full on buzz, which I don't personally care for.

BUT to add insult to injury, while they were waiting at the barber Adam got frustrated at a video game on his tablet, and when Tim asked him to turn the tablet over, Adam tried to pull it away, dropped it, and shattered the screen. THE HITS JUST KEEP ON COMING.

Meanwhile, I had a really nice date with Ellie yesterday (who refuses to brush her hair, so perhaps it'll be a hiney-head for her soon enough!) We'd been planning to go see one of our new baby friends, and decided to make a day out of it. The Grammy Museum has an exhibit of Dolly Parton's costumes, so I took my little 9 to 5 loving lady out to see the dresses of our National Treasure.




The costumes are unreal, both in their glitz and sparkle, and the sizing. The difference between Dolly's tiny waist and large bosoms is truly astonishing. The museum is pretty small, so we had a good hour or so touring, and then went to my favorite restaurant Bottega Louie for a nice brunch. Ellie was thrilled to get waffles and delighted by Chantilly cream, and I had a potato pancake with burrata and prosciutto, which is all my favorite things on one plate. And then we got a bunch of little to-go tartlets to bring to our new favorite friend, baby Josie, who is the daughter of my college roommate Annie.


She's three months old, so smiley and sweet and darling. Ellie was a total baby hog. Even after Josie took a nap in her lap, I had to set a timer so that I could hold her for a measly five minutes!

Then since we were back in my old stomping grounds, I made Ellie go with me to my favorite thrift store, where a million years ago I purchased the rhinestone booties I'd worn to see Dolly's costumes. Ellie fell in love with a pair of silver saddle shoes, but learned the sad truth of when a thrift store item doesn't fit you, you can't just go to the next size up (and that her mom isn't going to buy her shoes that her feet don't fit into!)

No comments:

Post a Comment