Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Well, day three, of course!

Another great day on our fabulous vacation.

This morning everyone was suitably recovered to meet up to go out to Edinburgh today. Other than Rocco, who had to head back to London, it was the entire American crew - Cory's family, the Fords, and Rob and Nancy and Cory's military buddies. Natalie and her dad also came along. The more I hang out with Natalie, the more I like her, and her dad is a really great guy. He is Mr. Tourguide, Mr. Helpful... Mr. Scotland! We got out to Edinburgh around one and headed straight to the castle. In Stirling, we'd bought these passes for all of the "local" castles, which saved us some money, and over an hour wait time to purchase tickets. It was a sweet deal.

The weather was a little chillier up on the hill (if that's possible) but the views were absolutely beautiful. We only had a few hours, but we hit most of the high points - the little chapel was very sweet, the Crown Jewels were suitably impressive, and the history of the castle is amazing. As we walked into one of the courtyards I remembered standing there with grandma ten years ago (Grandma, we are old) asking someone to take our photo. In the picture, we're both smiling, even though we were freezing cold and wet on that rainy day (and the umbrella I'd brought had broken.)

We met up with the rest of the group around three for some beers and some pub food. I did a little shopping while the boys were drinking. I bought a fuchsia cashmere scarf, which is soft like a hot pink baby (the best kind of baby!)

We caught the 6:15 train back to Glasgow - we had to stand the whole ride, which was slightly unpleasant, but when we got back into town, Cory's parents treated us all to a lovely dinner at a local Italian place. It was kind of an after the fact rehearsal dinner, which was very sweet. Tim didn't want to try the toffee pie, so I split a piece with Bob. As soon as he smelled the delicious toffee-ness, Tim instantly regretted his decision. I (begrudgingly) let him have a bite.

Tomorrow we are off to another castle, on the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Ness. This one is mostly a ruin. Then, Alex has generously invited us/demanded we joined them all for Hogemanay (NYE) in Baloch. He says there will be lots of dancing, which I am thrilled about. I didn't bring any other fancy clothes, other than my red dress, so I am hoping to buy a girlish kilt tomorrow. And new tights. And of course, anything else that strikes my pretty little fancy. All of our California pals are heading home tomorrow, so it will just be the Fords. We obviously are Cory's biggest fans.

Pictures, of course.

View of the castle.

Amazing view from the camera.

Now I know what I'm named after. A giant, angry cannon.


The California/UCLA crew.

"Hey brudder, how far do you think this thing can shoot?" "I don't know brudder... I love guns and cannons." "I love you, brudder." "I love you, brudder. And I love our matching outfits!"

Rawr! My skin is as white as my gloves... kind of sad.

View down the high street.

Edinburgh is pretty awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you see the Loch Ness Monster!! But don't get eaten.

    ReplyDelete