Wednesday, March 23, 2011

You Hear That?

...that's the sound of me being well rested. We put the Bean down at 9pm last night, like usual. Tim had to go and settle her again at 9:30 and we went to bed at 10. I figured that I should get some zzz's in before she woke up again wanting to eat. I heard her wail around 1ish and figured I'd have to get up shortly, but it was more of a "oh, I just farted a big fart, but now I'll go back to sleep" cry. The next time I looked at the clock, it was 6:30. Here's what happened - I rolled over, looked at the clock, saw that it said 6:30 and was like, "oh, hooray! She slept through the night!" and then I thought "oh crap, what if something happened?!?!?" and bolted across the hall to check on her. She was out like a light, and sleeping on her side!

They say that the four month sleep regression (which is I think what hit us, albeit a little late) happens because your baby is going from sleeping like an infant, where they drop into deep sleep almost immediately, to sleeping like an adult, where they cycle in and out of deep sleep. So it takes them longer to fall asleep and sometimes have trouble waking up. It's funny because in two weeks, she went from going to sleep swaddled up with her arms at her side like a little fleecy worm, sleeping against the bumpers on her crib to feel hemmed in, to sleeping in a sleep sack with her arms out, square in the middle of her crib. She's also taken a couple of naps in her crib and mom's portable crib, which she NEVER did before. I haven't gotten a good nap in the swing in over a week. She's a'changing and a'growing. I can only hope that she continues to go back to her 9pm-7am sleep patterns. It's good for all those in this house.

It's funny to think though - when she was tiny and Tim and I were doing shifts with her at night, and I was feeding her every 3-4 hours in the pitch blackness, we thought things would never get better. Now we put her down at 9, we have an hour to ourselves, and we go to sleep together in our own bed and are generally only woken up when the cat wants to petted. It's a good life.

And she's a good baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment